• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieved my order, and someone else's too

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

No. 5

What is the name of your state? Virginia

So, last week I ordered some parts from a web-based business that I order a lot of parts/equipment from. This was $100 worth of parts. I was billed correctly for what I ordered and the entire transaction went fine. This place has a good reputation and that's why I do business with them.

This afternoon the stuff I ordered is sitting in a box on my porch. So all is well and good. But in addition to the parts I ordered, there's a much bigger, much heavier box, also sitting on my porch. I opened the smaller box first and sure enough everything I ordered is there along with a receipt that's all correct.

On to the second, larger box. It's addressed to me. I open it, and inside is $300 worth of equipment that I did not order, nor was I billed for it. As I said, the box is addressed to me but the receipt is for someone else in another state.

After some examination it's apparent what happened, someone in their shipping department screwed up and printed out my shipping label twice. Then they slapped it on TWO boxes instead of just one. The shipping label has the correct tracking number for my order and it says 1 of 1 pieces. Except that I received two pieces.

The right thing to do, I suppose, is to email the company and say hey, you shipped me this equipment, what do you want me do to with it? I assume that they can't legally bill me for it and I am not paying to ship this equipment back - it's heavy! At this point I'm guessing that they don't even know I have this stuff.

I will have to admit it's tempting to keep it because I could actually use the free equipment, it's nicer than what I already have.

I haven't opened up any of the stuff I didn't order. It's all still sitting in the box it came in. If the UPS guy shows up and asks for it I'll give it back.

Anyway the question is, is the equipment mine to keep legally? Morally, I already know the answer: It's NOT mine to keep in a moral sense because this equipment belongs to the poor guy 800 miles away from here.

Email the company or hold on to it for a month and see if the UPS guy comes back for it?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I'd contact the company, explain the situation to them, and get them to issue a UPS call tag for pickup. Better karma. ;)

racer72

Keeping the stuff you did not order is call theft. It won't be hard to figure out where the stuff went. Contact the company and make arrangements to return the merchandise.

No. 5

I'll email them and see what they want me to do with it. I'm not paying to ship it back though. Their mistake, not mine.

priority1bc

This happens now and then. What probably happened was the shipper forgot to clear the address, put the next box on the scale thinking they already entered the address and shipped you the next order. UPS has good tracking, eventually the real buyer will complain and they will look up the shipping records and find it was sent to you.

Of course the shipper should pay to get the item returned, if they had the nerve to even ask you to pay for it I'd feel justified in keeping it. Depending on what this equipment is, they might just tell you to keep it if it will cost them more to return ship it. I know someone who got a free set of expensive golf clubs that way.... quite the mark up I guess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">