• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Days

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

careyhrdng

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My coworkers decided that they wanted the Saturday before Memorial day off. My employer is deciding to give it to us off, but we have to use one of our vacation days. When I asked her why she was making us take a vacation day, she responded "You usually have extra days, right? Why are you worrying about it?" This of course is not true. She then said "If you don't wanna use your sick day, then come in and work on Saturday." When I replied that I would be happy to, she told me "No." I know that companies can force you to take sick days on a holiday, but this isn't like Christmas or easter. Besides, it isn't even a company. It's a small medical lab. I'm not even sure that our boss has a degree in anything.What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She is not MAKING you take the vacation day. You could choose to take Saturday as an unpaid day.
Where does the sense of entitlement come from in so many people...? :rolleyes:

ecmst12

The saturday before memorial day is not a holiday. If you normally work on saturdays, then it's a work day like any other. So you have to follow the same regulations to take that day off as any other work day.

Not all employers allow employees to take unpaid days off - if they don't have the time available, they can't have the day off. This is not illegal either, so long as no anti-discrimination laws are violated and FMLA does not apply.

careyhrdng

The point is that she is not opening work that day, but she's still taking it from one of our vacation days. Whenever work is closed, (other than Sundays) it counts as a holiday, and vacation days are not taken off.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is completely, totally and absolutely within the rights of an employer to decide when vacation days are to be taken. Despite what a frightening number of people believe, vacation days are not a protected benefit and they are not a guaranteed benefit, in any state. It is NOT your right under the law to decide when you will take your vacation days. If your employer decided to dictate to you when you would take each and every one of your vacation days and you had no control in it whatsoever, it would still be 100% legal.

As far as the law is concerned, your employer is doing nothing wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">