• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LCD TV Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crosby1

What is the name of your state? VA

I'm having an issue with a 42" LCD television as follows:

Approximately 18 months ago I purchased a Toshiba 42" LCD TV for ~$2300. There was a defect in the panel noticed after about 4 months and the television was replaced under warranty by the manufacturer with an upgraded model.

I have had the upgraded set for about 14 months and it also has recently developed an issue with the LCD screen; specifically there is a thin black line that runs vertically down the center of the screen. Essentially this makes the TV unwatchable.

I was in touch with the Toshiba customer service and was told that because the set is now 2 months over the 1 year warranty, they would offer to pay for 50% of the $2180 repair bill to replace the LCD panel. This amounts to $1090 that they would pay and I would also be expected to pay $1090.

Since this is a replacement set for the original that also had a defective LCD panel, do you think I can take Toshiba to small claims court? I would like them to either replace the set entirely (a new one of this size runs about $1200, or pay the full cost of repair).

I don't think these sets should be considered "disposable" after a year or so of ownership and I think Toshiba should stand behind their product especially in light of the fact that this is my second set with a defective LCD panel.

Does anyone think I have a case or am I out of luck because I'm 2 months over the warranty period?

Thanks very much.

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state? VA

I'm having an issue with a 42" LCD television as follows:

Approximately 18 months ago I purchased a Toshiba 42" LCD TV for ~$2300. There was a defect in the panel noticed after about 4 months and the television was replaced under warranty by the manufacturer with an upgraded model.

I have had the upgraded set for about 14 months and it also has recently developed an issue with the LCD screen; specifically there is a thin black line that runs vertically down the center of the screen. Essentially this makes the TV unwatchable.

I was in touch with the Toshiba customer service and was told that because the set is now 2 months over the 1 year warranty, they would offer to pay for 50% of the $2180 repair bill to replace the LCD panel. This amounts to $1090 that they would pay and I would also be expected to pay $1090.

Since this is a replacement set for the original that also had a defective LCD panel, do you think I can take Toshiba to small claims court? I would like them to either replace the set entirely (a new one of this size runs about $1200, or pay the full cost of repair).

I don't think these sets should be considered "disposable" after a year or so of ownership and I think Toshiba should stand behind their product especially in light of the fact that this is my second set with a defective LCD panel.

Does anyone think I have a case or am I out of luck because I'm 2 months over the warranty period?

Thanks very much.
You are two months past the warranty .

Call your local Office of Attorney General's consumer affairs and see if the have a pattern of complaints on those models . If so , they may try to intervene .

Otherwise , you're past the warranty , and they are offering to pay 1/2 the cost of repair .

Ask them if they'll cut you a check , then pay the difference of $1200.00 , for a set you want .( I assume other than the defective make ) .

If not , well you may have to take it , or leave it .

crosby1

thanks. i did call toshiba cust. service and ask about getting a $1090 credit toward a new set. they said absolutely not which makes no sense to me whatsoever.

if they're going to spend the money on a repair, why not spend it on a credit toward a new television.

long story short: toshiba has lost me as a customer and i will bad-mouth them and their products until the day i die.

BL

You have to understand something here .

They replaced the original with a better model .

The warranty ran OUT .

You were aware of that , and the warranty period .

They offered to pay 1/2 as a good gesture .

Now I can from a consumer's point agree with your frustrations .

I haven't had the opportunity to but a new flat panel TV , but I've read where they often need repairs in a short while .

Hook up w/ consumer reports .

crosby1

what YOU'RE not understanding is this:

i originally paid over $2000 for the 1st set; it had an issue with the LCD panel. it was replaced with another set which then developed an issue with the LCD panel. the "better" model is no better than the original.

see the pattern here? BAD PANELS!!

they offered to pay half because they know they have distributed a product that is inferior.

essentially what toshiba has done is taken my money from me and left me with a crappy excuse for a television set.

i WILL fight this with them to the very end until i get satisfaction. warranty period be damned!

and i'm NOT frustrated; i'm PISSED!!!

BL

what YOU'RE not understanding is this:

i originally paid over $2000 for the 1st set; it had an issue with the LCD panel. it was replaced with another set which then developed an issue with the LCD panel. the "better" model is no better than the original.

see the pattern here? BAD PANELS!!

they offered to pay half because they know they have distributed a product that is inferior.

essentially what toshiba has done is taken my money from me and left me with a crappy excuse for a television set.

i WILL fight this with them to the very end until i get satisfaction. warranty period be damned!

and I'm NOT frustrated; I'm PISSED!!!
File a formal complaint with your local Office Of Attorney General - Consumer Affairs Department .

They have the contact person and phone number for the Co.

They will forward your complaint , then follow up with a letter , and hopefully you can hook up with the CO.s consumer rep .

If it gets that far be assertive , but don't expect a brand spanking new TV .

They may offer you a refurbished unit .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">