• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Insured Party Have to Know Policy Details?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snickstx

TX

I am custodial parent, kids 5 & 8. During a recent conversation with my ex-wife, she made a statement about me not having anything if she were dead. We have the standard boilerplate about CS surviving as a debt on her estate. But, she'll most likely just leave bills in her wake. I have decided to ask the Court to order life insurance during an upcoming modification.

I would ask the Court to order me to purchase and maintain the policy in lieu of a debt against her estate. She would be ordered to comply with Ins Co requirements, medical, honest answers, etc. She would would pay the premium to me every month. My question is since she would be the insured, not the beneficiary nor owner, will she be provided details of the policy? I would be insuring her for longer than is required. That way there is still some benefit for the kids while they are in college and starting their adult lives. I would pay any overage and the full premium after CS ends.

Basically, if she is the insured, will the Ins Co give her any details on the policy?

Same issue, I would assume my insurable interest ends when CS ends. Could I maintain the policy after if I changed ben to a trust for the kids while I retained ownership?

BTW, I'd be more than happy to cooperate with her obtaining insurance on me but I know it would lapse within the first year. I'll be making provisions for my responsibilities soon as well.What is the name of your state?

Shay-Pari'e

TX

I am custodial parent, kids 5 & 8. During a recent conversation with my ex-wife, she made a statement about me not having anything if she were dead.
Why should you?
We have the standard boilerplate about CS surviving as a debt on her estate.
OK. Let's see how well that one works out if something was to happen to her.
But, she'll most likely just leave bills in her wake.
So? She is your X.
I have decided to ask the Court to order life insurance during an upcoming modification.
Sorry, but I doubt any court will order this.

I would ask the Court to order me to purchase and maintain the policy in lieu of a debt against her estate. She would be ordered to comply with Ins Co requirements, medical, honest answers, etc. She would would pay the premium to me every month.
OK, you are out of your mind.
My question is since she would be the insured, not the beneficiary nor owner, will she be provided details of the policy?
It won't happen, but let's say it did. OF COURSE SHE WOULD!
I would be insuring her for longer than is required. That way there is still some benefit for the kids while they are in college and starting their adult lives. I would pay any overage and the full premium after CS ends.
And you could get run over by a bus tomorrow. Where does that leave your X? It leaves her as your X.
Basically, if she is the insured, will the Ins Co give her any details on the policy?
Same issue, I would assume my insurable interest ends when CS ends. Could I maintain the policy after if I changed ben to a trust for the kids while I retained ownership?

BTW, I'd be more than happy to cooperate with her obtaining insurance on me but I know it would lapse within the first year. I'll be making provisions for my responsibilities soon as well.What is the name of your state
?
Please get professional help.

Shay-Pari'e

Mental disease or defect can do that. Remember, admitting you need help is the first step. Good Luck!!!
Yes, let us all remember mental DESEASE, and DEFECT. I have learned so much already. Thank you for your well wishes, I send my best to your children also.

justalayman

I was told long ago; never ask a witness a question you do not already know the answer to.

I am sure you have the same answer as I. I was simply waiting for snickstx answer it so we all could see this was not for the childrens sake but his own.

I just love this line:

I would ask the Court to order me to purchase and maintain the policy in lieu of a debt against her estate.
ask the court to order him to purchase insurance, on his X, yet require the X to pay for it.

If the courts were going to order anybody to buy a policy on the X, they would order the X to purchase a policy on herself with the children as bene's.

This guy already has the X dead and buried and owing everybody. No claim any CS is not being paid now but hey, let's try to make her buy insurance, no, let me correct that; pay for anothers policy.

Sounds like an old Agatha Christie novel in the making.

snickstx

you do have my curiosity piqued. Who do you propose should be the beneficiary of this policy?
I see where you're going. In all fairness it should go into trust for children in order to pay child support (as her estate is now legally required to do) until such time that CS is no longer payable, then directly to children. I will be adding a policy on myself at the same time, payable to trust for kids, with instructions to pay CS if not paid by my estate. If my ex would like peace of mind, I would be more than happy to cooperate, as stated previously, and pay the premium to her, just as I will petitioning for.

Since it seems there is more interest in aspects of my post which I am fairly confident of outcome, I will reiterate and maybe reword my central question.

If all she has to do is submit to a medical exam and answer a questionnaire, would there be any reason for her to be provided policy details?

another version

Unless she asks the Ins Co herself, would there be anytime they would, spontaneously, give her information on the policy?

one last try

Would she be required to acknowledge the TERMS, rather than existence, of the policy in order for it to be issued?

snickstx

I was told long ago; never ask a witness a question you do not already know the answer to.

I am sure you have the same answer as I. I was simply waiting for snickstx answer it so we all could see this was not for the childrens sake but his own.

I just love this line:

ask the court to order him to purchase insurance, on his X, yet require the X to pay for it.

If the courts were going to order anybody to buy a policy on the X, they would order the X to purchase a policy on herself with the children as bene's.

This guy already has the X dead and buried and owing everybody. No claim any CS is not being paid now but hey, let's try to make her buy insurance, no, let me correct that; pay for anothers policy.

Wow, I thought I posted in the insurance forum, not the family law forum, my mistake. As to your barb about me having her dead and buried, in the years we've been divorced, I never even considered getting insurance on her until she made comments regarding her own death and basically leaving our children high and dry as to her financial responsibility. Oh, she hasn't paid CS in a couple of years either. I was told by her to "make due." I don't feel guilty at all asking the Court to force her to be financially responsible for her share of raising, supporting and educating our children.

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

I see where you're going. In all fairness it should go into trust for children in order to pay child support (as her estate is now legally required to do) until such time that CS is no longer payable, then directly to children. I will be adding a policy on myself at the same time, payable to trust for kids, with instructions to pay CS if not paid by my estate. If my ex would like peace of mind, I would be more than happy to cooperate, as stated previously, and pay the premium to her, just as I will petitioning for.

Since it seems there is more interest in aspects of my post which I am fairly confident of outcome, I will reiterate and maybe reword my central question.

If all she has to do is submit to a medical exam and answer a questionnaire, would there be any reason for her to be provided policy details?

another version

Unless she asks the Ins Co herself, would there be anytime they would, spontaneously, give her information on the policy?

one last try

Would she be required to acknowledge the TERMS, rather than existence, of the policy in order for it to be issued?
Look, You cannot get a policy with out her permission, and I highly doubt any sane judge will order her to get one.

Seriously, if you want what is best for your little ones, get a term policy on THEM! That way it grows and will soon consume the earth.

Shay-Pari'e

I just love this line:

Scary huh? He can't do it anyway's, so I guess he just needs to hope his X stay's alive.

Shay-Pari'e

Wow, I thought I posted in the insurance forum, not the family law forum, my mistake. As to your barb about me having her dead and buried, in the years we've been divorced, I never even considered getting insurance on her until she made comments regarding her own death and basically leaving our children high and dry as to her financial responsibility. Oh, she hasn't paid CS in a couple of years either. I was told by her to "make due." I don't feel guilty at all asking the Court to force her to be financially responsible for her share of raising, supporting and educating our children.
How dumb are you really? If she has not paid support in two years, why didn't you file contempt charges? Your story changes every time you post.

justalayman

I'm glad you are confident. You're wrong but at least you are confident. Like I said, if anything, the court will order her to buy her own policy. They are not going to force her to pay for a policy you own on her.

If my ex would like peace of mind, I would be more than happy to cooperate, as stated previously, and pay the premium to her, just as I will petitioning for
why don;t you make it simple:

you offer to purchase your own policy and ask the court to require her to purchase her own policy.

So, what have you done (court wise) to collect or force the payment of the CS? And a parent dieing is NOT leaving the children high and dry. After death, CS would obviously end and you get to take care of the children all on your own. Sorry but such is life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">