• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KimInNY

Well, here we are again and this is it..... I finally lost it..... with the promise of calls back and failure to follow through I just went balistic. Calmly but nevertheless got my point across to this agent. With the argument he was trying to put to the insurance company they refused again to "reinstate" the policy so he was going higher up than management.....

I told him I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling here and I don't care what your argument is with the insurer all I know is at the end of yet another day my home is not insured! This is where I lost it,

He, the owner of the agency, relayed to me the fact that rebinding the policy was just a push of a button and he is presenting this fight to the insurer so that HE , or in his words, we, will not be charged the laps of insurance amount. I want this situation rendered and I want it rendered NOW!!! I was within an hour emailed a new application (coverage increased $70.00) The agency owner said he would eat the increase. I told him I want that in writing. Haven't gotten that as yet. Now the waiting game is on.... I think the agent is going to try and make it look to the mortgage company that the policy is a reinstatement. I am not sure but I think that is what he was saying to me..... .

The refusal to reinstate is innoying, and I think this company should reinstate, because the owner/agent has explained what happend, ( problem with one of his employee's who has been terminated) That would solve the whole thing alltogether.

Your home is insured, by the bank for a rediculous premium, and without good coverage.

Even with a binder to the bank showing coverage during the lapse, when the policy is issued, the bank will be notified the true date's of coverage, and the binder they previously got will be void, and they will go by the actual bound policy they recieve. so there's no way to keep the bank thinking there was no lapse, for long.

$70.00 isnt alot, and he may pay that. And I'm sure even if it isnt in the state law that he can, he will. I mean its no big deal, a cash payment from him wont show on any doc's and nothng to worry about.

Sounds like it is progressing well.

KimInNY

I'm an agent that always does the right thing. I don't know why you think I wouldn't. I didn't get to where I am by being stupid.

In any case, OP, your policy isn't going to be backdated to February. That isn't going to happen.

well of corse I didnt mean you personally, I mean in my experiance, My boss (owner/broker/agent) does everything he can, to not come out of his pocket for anything. He hates when I randomly save "our" insured's money, without them asking.

Yea, backdated to feb isnt going to hapen, but it was a suggestion. I guess my boss is stupid.

Well, I did get in writing that he will pay the increase of the premium but what I am haveing trouble with is getting the owner of the agency to put in writing that he will take responsibility for any further charges that may arrise because of this mishap,(for lack of a better word), Such as the charge that may come to me from the mortgage company for the laps. Which would be at their forced place rate. That would be a 5 month laps and it would be a bill a bit more than $1,200.00. I did speak with the mortgage company throughout this whole process so they are aware of the situation. But they cannot send that bill to the insurance agent..... it will be sent to me..... In speaking with the mortgage company yesterday they confirmed there was a new binder sent over and it was for insurance to start 7/9/08 and per the bank representitive I am not noted in my file for any further charges. That was as of yesterday. I feel it in my bones this is not over as yet! How do I assure myself that I can get this agent guy to pay? I do have this all well documented every phone call every peice of correspondence everything.... Some things were verbal though. Such as the promise to "cross that bridge when we get to it" regarding the laps fee. He totally ignored that part of my demand for written proof that he said that. AAaaagggghhhh

BlondiePB

That would be a 5 month laps and it would be a bill a bit more than $1,200.00.
Mo, how can a mortgage company charge for coverage for a previous period of time? That would be paying insurance now to cover a period of time that no longer exists?

mysteryunicorn, Bertha was never a threat to FL. What's peculiar about Bertha is that this hurricane developed off the coast of Africa this soon in the hurricane season - a month earlier than usual for developing off the coast of Africa.

KimInNY

Mo, how can a mortgage company charge for coverage for a previous period of time? That would be paying insurance now to cover a period of time that no longer exists?

mysteryunicorn, Bertha was never a threat to FL. What's peculiar about Bertha is that this hurricane developed off the coast of Africa this soon in the hurricane season - a month earlier than usual for developing off the coast of Africa.
Because Banks (as does the DMV) require insurance at all times, no excuses, and If you cant prove coverage for that time, they get to charge whatever for the lapse time.

Still, having no insurance on a mortgage'd home is bad enough, good Bertha wasnt a problem. but anything can be, it might burn, you never know.

KimInNY

Well, I did get in writing that he will pay the increase of the premium but what I am haveing trouble with is getting the owner of the agency to put in writing that he will take responsibility for any further charges that may arrise because of this mishap,(for lack of a better word), Such as the charge that may come to me from the mortgage company for the laps. Which would be at their forced place rate. That would be a 5 month laps and it would be a bill a bit more than $1,200.00. I did speak with the mortgage company throughout this whole process so they are aware of the situation. But they cannot send that bill to the insurance agent..... it will be sent to me..... In speaking with the mortgage company yesterday they confirmed there was a new binder sent over and it was for insurance to start 7/9/08 and per the bank representitive I am not noted in my file for any further charges. That was as of yesterday. I feel it in my bones this is not over as yet! How do I assure myself that I can get this agent guy to pay? I do have this all well documented every phone call every peice of correspondence everything.... Some things were verbal though. Such as the promise to "cross that bridge when we get to it" regarding the laps fee. He totally ignored that part of my demand for written proof that he said that. AAaaagggghhhh

i'm willing to bet everything, there;s no way he's going to pay 1200. for 5 month's of forced coverage. You got the cancelation letters too, you should have been more on top of the agent when you say them. That really sounded like an easy problem to fix from the start, have the agent send them a signed app. done.

I'm sorry that 1200. is yours, unless you want to sue him for it. which is another matter
maby you can post that i small claims file.

lol "cross that bridge when we come to it"= I'll tell you later I'm not paying that.

to blondiepb and kiminny

BlondiePB I have seen many a hurricane that was not suppose to be a threat to Florida and still we get hit. I take them seriously. I have lost to a hurricane before, Wilma, 2005. I do not like taking chances with my home. thank you anyway.

KiminNY- the problem with me being on top of the agent is the insurer kept sending the cancellation notices to the agent because it was their signature that was missing and since the agent that took the application worked out of her home and no longer worked for the company she never turned in the file on me. The agency got several cancellation notices and they put them on the desk not knowing who I was as there was no in office file on me. The cancellation notice I got was only after the cancellation had taken place. (cancellation happened 6/10/08 notice I got was 6/12/08) I then frantically made calls to the agent and the insurer whereas the insurers representative assured me that if the application were to come over that very day, he would re instate my policy......The signed application was at the insurers office within an hour but the insurer never got it**************. I was told I would get a notice in the mail via reinstatement within 2 weeks...... that was the time I waited and meanwhile I received a letter from the mortgage company saying they were force placing me if I do not show ins......I then again made frantic calls and made the agent show proof that the papers requested went over the fax on 6/12/08 as stated. This was pulled from the phone/fax journal. Computer generated fax confirmation. All in all I think it foolish that the insurer didn't reinstate...... No claims were made and I am not any type of high risk. Not fair at all I have actually done the math and it will be a charge of $1,562.50 for the 5 month laps. That is more than my entire anual premium. I think there were mistakes made all the way around the agent's is obvious, the insurer for letting it go on so long and then me for not doing more of both of their jobs......

Last edited:

KimInNY

yea, have the new agent place you, and have hime pay the diffrence, then pull the policy to another agency. then at least you would have his 70.00 (refunded from the co LOL )

I so compleately agree that it was the agency's fault, and the company is silly and unreasonable in not reinstating you.

Please, let me know what happens in the end. I think you will have to sue the agent for the 1500. and i think you have a case, but im not a lawyer, just a seller of home and auto insurance.

Well throughout today I did recieve an email from the owner of the agency who stated in writing he has paid the 74 dollars and that if i do get billed I am to forward the bill to him************** He did not say so he would pay it but so he would fight the issue. 1/2 way there. I will let you know how it ends up. At least I have homeowners insurance. i did verify for myself with the insurer and the mortgage company. I DO HAVE HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE!! HURRAY

Last edited:

moburkes

Sorry. Just saw your question. While the time period has passed, most insurance companies will accept a claim for up to 3 years after the incident. And, sometimes people don't know about an event until after the fact. For example, there was a hurricane 2 months, I thought the damage was under my deductible, but its actually about $10k. If the mortgage company force-placed insurance on me back to then, then the damage to my house, which I thought wouldn't merit a claim, is now covered. I can file the claim, and the insurance company would likely believe me that the damage was done in the hurricane 2 months ago, since they probably had other claims aorund the same time in my area.

One more update.

Well, all the follow up has been done and it is true insurance is in place.... I have in writing the promise to reimburse for the policy increase $74 and in writing the promise to take care of any other charges...... I followed up with the mortgage company as far as what and when will I be charged and they are charging $768 for the laps in ins************** They are sending me this in writing and they are sending me a copy of the front and back of the initial check that went and was cashed by the insurance company************** this was via the advise of an attorney in case of a small claims suit. If there is anything else you can help me with to cover my butt and not be held responsible for this I would appreciate it..... What do I need to win a small claims case against the insurance agent. I am also, after receiving all above referenced paper work from the mortgage company, going to call the mortgage company about what was the exact amount taken from my escrow account because I am not understanding how exactly this agent will be giving the $74.00 as his written promise states to cover the increase of the annual premium. Perhaps he thinks I am totally stupid...... NOT!!1 not totally anyway....lol... Then I will also bring up the additional charge. any input is greatly appreciated. As always.

One more update.

Well, all the follow up has been done and it is true insurance is in place.... I have in writing the promise to reimburse for the policy increase $74 and in writing the promise to take care of any other charges...... I followed up with the mortgage company as far as what and when will I be charged and they are charging $768 for the laps in ins************** They are sending me this in writing and they are sending me a copy of the front and back of the initial check that went and was cashed by the insurance company************** this was via the advise of an attorney in case of a small claims suit. If there is anything else you can help me with to cover my butt and not be held responsible for this I would appreciate it..... What do I need to win a small claims case against the insurance agent. I am also, after receiving all above referenced paper work from the mortgage company, going to call the mortgage company about what was the exact amount taken from my escrow account because I am not understanding how exactly this agent will be giving the $74.00 as his written promise states to cover the increase of the annual premium. Perhaps he thinks I am totally stupid...... NOT!! not totally anyway....lol... Then I will also bring up the additional charge. any input is greatly appreciated. As always.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">