• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lost 401ks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kriseanna

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? currently Texas
In the mid 90's we worked for a Private Prision, it was managed
by a company out of Tenn.
Since we moved on to work in Texas we lost track of our 401ks.
We both know that we don't have much money in those accounts......
But its our and we would like to find it.
Your assistance is appriciated

Beth3

Do you have any information on the Plan - an old statement with the name of the investment firm? Have you contacted the company in Tennessee to inquire about the 401(k) Plan?

kriseanna

We can't seem to find any documentation. A friend of ours that stayed on for a couple of years more with that company fineally gave us a phone # . When we called they told us we didn't have any moneys in there company. I asked for paperwork showing that we had been given our just do's****************************...to no avail.

Beth3

We can't seem to find any documentation. A friend of ours that stayed on for a couple of years more with that company fineally gave us a phone # . When we called they told us we didn't have any moneys in there company. I asked for paperwork showing that we had been given our just do's****************************...to no avail.
Depending on how long you worked there and what the terms of the plan were, you might have forfeited any contribution the employer made. If you contributed money to the plan off your paycheck, that would always be yours. If it was under $5,000, I imagine the employer would have made a forced distribution after you left (i.e. sent you the money.) If it was a modest amount, you may have forgotten that you received it.

If you think you are owed money and you can't get anywhere with the employer or plan administrator, then contact the federal Department of Labor. They have jurisdiction over employer sponsored retirement plans. 866-487-2365

Dandy Don

Visit the website www.naupa.org and check with the Tennessee Department of Unclaimed Property to see if perhaps it was turned over to the state treasury in your names.

Also, if you remember what the name of the company was (and the city and state) in the 1990's, please mention it here so I can research the company's subsequent history to see if the name was changed and who the current officials are and the former officials were.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">