• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance added to child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevlan23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I know that i can get health insurance added to the child support benefits but can i ask for life insurance to benefit my daughter??

Thank you in advance.

CourtClerk

If you were never married to the father, and it's not part of a divorce decree... probably not.

However, please feel free to buy as much life insurance on yourself as you'd like. If her father passes while she is a minor, she should qualify for dependant benefits through Social Security.

nextwife

I know that i can get health insurance added to the child support benefits but can i ask for life insurance to benefit my daughter??

Thank you in advance.

If you believe that the CP should have such a benefit, have you obtained such insurance to benefit your daughter should YOU die, making him the CP?

kevlan23

he doesn't want custody if i die. I have a life insurance policy in place for my sister who is willing to take custody if something were to happen to me.

nextwife

he doesn't want custody if i die. I have a life insurance policy in place for my sister who is willing to take custody if something were to happen to me.
The funds belong to the named beneficiary, and they have no legal obligation to provide them to anyone else. Is daughter, or some trust for daughter the beneficiary, or is sis? Additionally, ex could decide he wants custody someday.

Gracie3787

Thank you in advance.
Yes, you can. However, it is usually ordered only in cases where the NCP is habitually in arrears, or when the NCP has a dangerous occupation. The next time you go to court, you can request the insurance, but it will be in the Judge's descretion whether to order it or not. This is from the Florida Statutes:

61.13(1)(c) To the extent necessary to protect an award of child support, the court may order the obligor to purchase or maintain a life insurance policy or a bond, or to otherwise secure the child support award with any other assets which may be suitable for that purpose.

kevlan23

He doesn't have a dangerous occupation but he is known to get drunk and drive. Last year he crashed twice. He doesn't want to get life insurance and now has told me he is taking me to court because i have asked for too much.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Gracie3787

He doesn't have a dangerous occupation but he is known to get drunk and drive. Last year he crashed twice. He doesn't want to get life insurance and now has told me he is taking me to court because i have asked for too much.

Thank you everyone for your responses.
If he takes you to court, you can ask for the insurance. You won't know what the Judge will do until you ask.

nextwife

If he takes you to court, you can ask for the insurance. You won't know what the Judge will do until you ask.
With a history of DUI accidents, expect life insurance may very well be financially beyond reach unless he has access to a cheap group plan.

Have you researched, online, what the cost of this can be expected to run for him (not what you pay for you), so you are aware of the monthly financial impact? If I bought life insurance on hubby now, it would cost hundreds a month for limited coverage. If you are asking for something, you should be aware of what you are asking the party to spend.

Last edited:

fairisfair

somehow I am willing to bet that the "financial impact" for the cost of insurance is somewhat less than the impact on a child left without the support of one of his/her parents.

Course, that is....unless maybe we, as taxpayers should just go ahead and pick up that tab in the unlikely event???

Sorry, I am ALL about parents carrying life insurance....married, not married, divorced, owing support, not owing...whatever.

And for those who have a legal monetary obligation...more so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">