• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor speeding down private road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jessicadestiney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Here is my problem. We live on a private dirt road, non state maintained, and there is one neighbor in particular who does in excess of 55 mph on the dirt road. I have called the Sherriff's dept and they have spoken with him. However, two hours later he was back to it again. Several of the houses have children, including mine and this is a main concern of ours. What can we do legally and efficiently to stop this? I have thought about going out and letting him see me videotape him in the act. Please help soon as I am at my wits end with him. Thanks.

jessicadestiney

We dug a trench just past our driveway because having the deputy speak with him didn't work, now the a$$holes are driving around it using my yard. I know I can definitely have something done about that.

CraigFL

I don't think there is anything you can do to control someone's speed on private property. I'm sure the sheriff could only 'recommend' that he slow down to keep the peace in the neighborhood. If you're concerned about pets and children, you will need to fence your yard in. It would be no different than abutting a county road with a 55mph speed limit.

hendo2010

I am in the same situation , ? the road "dragstrip" is it your property with an easment ?:confused: if so the only thing realy to do is let the road go to hell and place stagered bumps" BARCO products" sells 6' rubber speed bumps and sighns that say slow caution speed bumps I tried the trenches , holes, thick gravel only to have these pricks fill in the hole or throw the gravel off the road, if it is your property the bumps work good and if they remove them that is property damage or theft if they vanish, mine are put in with 3' long rebar stakes pounded into the ground through the speed bump so have fun trying to remove them, also plant some nasty rose bushes in your yard where they are driving around roses do wonders to a paint job:p.

JustAPal00

We dug a trench just past our driveway because having the deputy speak with him didn't work, now the a$$holes are driving around it using my yard. I know I can definitely have something done about that.
Put a bunch of roofing nails in your yard! Right where he drives. They have large flat heads and go right through tires!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Line the roadside by the yard with large rocks. I mean large rocks, not gravel; think almost boulder sized. I bet they won't drive over those to get around the trench! :p

jessicadestiney

Update!!!

This morning the ba$tard drove through my yard again to get around the trench and the garbage can, I posted my no trespassing sign. He gets one more shot and I am pressing charges. I was going to take a couple of 2x4's filled with nails in my yard and let him tackle those but hubby said I could be charged with booby trapping. I have friend who is a police officer and am trying to contact him now to see if that is true. I had even thought about putting a sign below the no trespassing sign to warn of tire damage even though nothing is up there to see what happens. I have really had it with this a$$hole.

HuAi

Thats really not a good idea - what if a neighborhood kid runs through your yard and steps on one of these nails? You want something that will prevent him from driving his car there but not injure anyone - large rocks or rose bushes have been suggested above. Rocks dont need to be the size of a person - just large enough so that he doesn't want to drive over them (think basketball sized or slightly smaller)

rowz

I would suggest a row of the [green] 6 ft. fence posts generally available at Home Depot/Loews, Using a hand sledge to install and spaced about 8 ft. apart they will make a decent barrier. A pain to mow/weed-whack around, but they may help[ to solve your problem. Tke video of the installation and have the cam ready for his next run-through. String some cans from post to post on heavy-gauge fishing line so if he trys to remove them you mayb be able to hear the noise and use the camera.

Why have you not put the driver/ & or owner of that property on a written notice via regular and Certified Mail? what are you waiting for?

jessicadestiney

I would suggest a row of the [green] 6 ft. fence posts generally available at Home Depot/Loews, Using a hand sledge to install and spaced about 8 ft. apart they will make a decent barrier. A pain to mow/weed-whack around, but they may help[ to solve your problem. Tke video of the installation and have the cam ready for his next run-through. String some cans from post to post on heavy-gauge fishing line so if he trys to remove them you mayb be able to hear the noise and use the camera.

Why have you not put the driver/ & or owner of that property on a written notice via regular and Certified Mail? what are you waiting for?
What do you mean written notice? I don't even know this guy's name and we have lived here for 3 1/2 years now.

FarmerJ

Jessica your county property tax desk can tell you the name of any one who owns property in your county by giving them a mailing address . If you cannot get a mailing address then go in person to the property tax desk and look up the parcel he has by finding your own on a platte map book , then you can still get the address that way since they mail property tax statements to him. If there is old signs like fire number signs your local fire dept might be able to give you name and address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">