• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Proceeds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NaplesRWB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My ex-wife OWNs my life policy and is sole beneficiary. Is there any way to forestall or prohibit her receiving those proceeds upon my demise? (I am 77 years old.)

The original policy was taken out some 20 years ago and is in proper form.

Can I change my name (maybe in another state) so as to confuse the issue for a while?

seniorjudge

Q: Is there any way to forestall or prohibit her receiving those proceeds upon my demise? Can I change my name (maybe in another state) so as to confuse the issue for a while?

A: No and no. Reason? "My ex-wife OWNs my life policy and is sole beneficiary."

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My ex-wife OWNs my life policy and is sole beneficiary. Is there any way to forestall or prohibit her receiving those proceeds upon my demise? (I am 77 years old.)

The original policy was taken out some 20 years ago and is in proper form.

Can I change my name (maybe in another state) so as to confuse the issue for a while?
A: What do you care? - It's not your policy in the first place.

ETA: SJ's got faster fingers today!

Dandy Don

She will need to provide the death certificate to claim the MONEY from the policy, not the policy.

Why don't you want her to receive the proceeds from this? This a legally allowable permissible transaction.

NaplesRWB

Life Ins Proceeds

Florida. I paid for the policy and in my eagerness to get out of the marriage I stupidly agreed to divide insurance policies on basis of cash value then, not face value now - now hers is $50,000, mine $300,000! In unrelated businesses she and her attorney boy friend manipulated me out of another $130,000 so I do not feel so kindly to her and I KNOW she owns the policy and there's not much I can do. It would just give me a degree of satisfaction if I could slow the collection process.
I also know she needs to present the death certificate to collect, that's why in my deranged mind I thought I could mess it up a little maybe if I changed my name (in a different venue where the records would not be so available). No one commented on that - either because it's a dumb idea or that angle hasn't been thought about. In any event, I don't want to do anything illegal, I just want to go out with a smile on my face if I can mess it up a little!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">