• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad doesn't spend time with daughter during placement.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

partiallypeeved

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Hi there,

My wife (I'll call her "Wilma") and her ex-husband (call him "Fred") have joint custody of their eight-year-old daughter (what else, "Pebbles"). They have a shared placement schedule, with my wife having primary placement.

Upon separation, Fred moved back home to Illinois, Wilma stayed in Wisconsin. The residences are about 120 miles apart. During the school year, the placement schedule calls for Pebbles to be with us Sundays at 6pm until Fridays at 7pm. During the summers, we get her Fridays at 7pm until Sunday at 7pm. This is causing several problems.

First, it is really a drag for me or my wife to have to spend 2 hours in a car EVERY Friday and EVERY Sunday - not to mention the drag it is for my step-daughter to be carted back and forth.

Second, the way the time is split up sucks. The reward that my wife and I get for getting Pebbles ready for school, being home when the school bus drops her off, and helping her with her homework for nine months is a two-hour car trip and an empty home for the weekend. Then when the summer rolls around and we don't have school to deal with... we only get her for two-day increments. So much for ever going on vacation.

Yes, I realize that I sound selfish and resentful. BUT there's a twist:

While Fred has her for five days a week during the summer, HE DOESN'T EVEN SPEND TIME WITH HER! He (or more often than not, his wife) picks her up on Sunday at the exchange place and drops her off at Grandma's house. Monday morning, his wife drops off their two-year-old at Grandma's; Monday afternoon, she picks up the two-year-old - but leaves Pebbles with Grandma. Tuesday through Thursday, repeat. Friday, pick up both girls and drop off Pebbles at the exchange place.

Pebbles has come home in tears, saying she misses her father - even though she just spent the last five days in Illinois. That's because the only time she saw him that week was when he stopped by Grandma's house one morning before work, or only spent one night at dad's house, or didn't see him at all.

Now, I am thrilled that Pebbles has a good relationship with her grandmother - but her grandmother is not her parent. If my wife and I have to accept this pain-in-the-butt schedule because of the Father's Right to spend time with his daughter, doesn't the father have an obligation (moral, if not legal) to actually spend time with his daughter? And what message does it send to Pebbles when Monday through Thursday, her step-mother drops off and picks up her half-sister after work - but leaves her behind at Grandma's?

To place this in context, Fred didn't spend time with his daughter before the divorce either. According to Wilma, he never fed her, changed her, bathed her, or got her dressed when she was a baby; he wouldn't pick her up from day care even though he got off of work 90 minutes earlier than Wilma; and he'd call a sitter if Wilma had to leave the house (for whatever reason) and it meant he'd have to take care of his own daughter. So it comes as no surprise to me that he's not spending time with her now.

That said, do Wilma and I have to continue to put up with this lousy placement schedule? Does Pebbles have to continue to be broken-hearted when her step-mother picks up her half-sister but leaves her behind?

If we exhaust all avenues of trying to resolve this as rational adults (to-date, Fred has been a real douchebag in this regard) and Wilma decided to petition the court for a revised placement schedule, would the fact that Fred chooses not to spend time with Pebbles make a difference?

I know judges want children to be able to spend time with both parents, but if Fred isn't spending time with Pebbles during his placement periods anyway, would that make a judge to be more inclined to revise the placement schedule so that Pebbles has more time scheduled with Wilma? If Fred won't spend time with her, and Wilma wants more time with her, what objection could there be?

So, what do you think: given all of the above, do we have a legitimate chance of getting a revised placement schedule, or is this a slam-dunk 'petition deined' ruling waiting to happen?

Wilma and I don't want to press the issue if we're just jousting at windmills. I know that it will depend on other factors and I know it will vary from judge to judge. But if you could weigh in with a "worth a shot" or a "no chance in hell", Wilma and I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Joe Rockhead

Last edited:

Isis1

i sure hope you aren't Barney :p

was this the same order as before dad moved?

now, i am curious how mom is doing all the transportation when DAD moved and how did dad get EVERY WEEKEND?? normally the moving parent is required to provide all the transportation. joint legal custody isn't an issue. joint physical custody might not be working.

it's mom's best interest for her to come online and answer the advisors' questions. you wouldn't send your wife to a prostate doctor for cancer in your place, would you?

Last edited:

majomom1

Hi there,

My wife (I'll call her "Wilma") and her ex-husband (call him "Fred") have joint custody of their eight-year-old daughter (what else, "Pebbles"). They have a shared placement schedule, with my wife having primary placement.

Upon separation, Fred moved back home to Illinois, Wilma stayed in Wisconsin. The residences are about 120 miles apart. During the school year, the placement schedule calls for Pebbles to be with us Sundays at 6pm until Fridays at 7pm. During the summers, we get her Fridays at 7pm until Sunday at 7pm. This is causing several problems.

First, it is really a drag for me or my wife to have to spend 2 hours in a car EVERY Friday and EVERY Sunday - not to mention the drag it is for my step-daughter to be carted back and forth.

Second, the way the time is split up sucks. The reward that my wife and I get for getting Pebbles ready for school, being home when the school bus drops her off, and helping her with her homework for nine months is a two-hour car trip and an empty home for the weekend. Then when the summer rolls around and we don't have school to deal with... we only get her for two-day increments. So much for ever going on vacation.

While Fred has her for five days a week during the summer, HE DOESN'T EVEN SPEND TIME WITH HER! He (or more often than not, his wife) picks her up on Sunday at the exchange place and drops her off at Grandma's house. Monday morning, his wife drops off their two-year-old at Grandma's; Monday afternoon, she picks up the two-year-old - but leaves Pebbles with Grandma. Tuesday through Thursday, repeat. Friday, pick up both girls and drop off Pebbles at the exchange place.

Pebbles has come home in tears, saying she misses her father - even though she just spent the last five days in Illinois. That's because the only time she saw him that week was when he stopped by Grandma's house one morning before work, or only spent one night at dad's house, or didn't see him at all.

Now, I am thrilled that Pebbles has a good relationship with her grandmother - but her grandmother is not her parent. If my wife and I have to accept this pain-in-the-butt schedule because of the Father's Right to spend time with his daughter, doesn't the father have an obligation (moral, if not legal) to actually spend time with his daughter? And what message does it send to Pebbles when Monday through Thursday, her step-mother drops off and picks up her half-sister after work - but leaves her behind at Grandma's?

To place this in context, Fred didn't spend time with his daughter before the divorce either. According to Wilma, he never fed her, changed her, bathed her, or got her dressed when she was a baby; he wouldn't pick her up from day care even though he got off of work 90 minutes earlier than Wilma; and he'd call a sitter if Wilma had to leave the house (for whatever reason) and it meant he'd have to take care of his own daughter. So it comes as no surprise to me that he's not spending time with her now.

That said, do Wilma and I have to continue to put up with this lousy placement schedule? Does Pebbles have to continue to be broken-hearted when her step-mother picks up her half-sister but leaves her behind?

If we exhaust all avenues of trying to resolve this as rational adults (to-date, Fred has been a real douchebag in this regard) and Wilma decided to petition the court for a revised placement schedule, would the fact that Fred chooses not to spend time with Pebbles make a difference?

I know judges want children to be able to spend time with both parents, but if Fred isn't spending time with Pebbles during his placement periods anyway, would that make a judge to be more inclined to revise the placement schedule so that Pebbles has more time scheduled with Wilma? If Fred won't spend time with her, and Wilma wants more time with her, what objection could there be?

So, what do you think: given all of the above, do we have a legitimate chance of getting a revised placement schedule, or is this a slam-dunk 'petition deined' ruling waiting to happen?

Wilma and I don't want to press the issue if we're just jousting at windmills. I know that it will depend on other factors and I know it will vary from judge to judge. But if you could weigh in with a "worth a shot" or a "no chance in hell", Wilma and I would really appreciate it.

Joe RockheadWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The only thing I see in here is the every weekend with Fred during the school year, and all summer. EOW would be easier and give Wilma "weekend" time with Pebbles. I would propose that Wilma request a change, to have 2 weeks during the summer, for vacation.

Unfortunately you cannot make Fred spend time with Pebbles. Is Pebbles in counseling? They can really help and give her tools to talk to Fred to request more time.

Is Wilma on speaking terms with Grandma? Could she talk with Grandma and possibly enlist her help with getting more time with Fred?

Perky

Would a right of first refusal clause be appropriate in a case like this? As OP described it, this situation doesn't sound like it's fostering a relationship with dad at all.

acmb05

Hi there,

Joe RockheadWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Read the sticky, Edit your post accordingly, and get mom on here to ask the questions from now on.

wileybunch

Monday morning, his wife drops off their two-year-old at Grandma's; Monday afternoon, she picks up the two-year-old - but leaves Pebbles with Grandma. Tuesday through Thursday, repeat. Friday, pick up both girls and drop off Pebbles at the exchange place.
:::confused::: What is repeated? Pebbles is being dropped off at g'ma's each day? But, you didn't mention she's picked up each day.

Perky

He (or more often than not, his wife) picks her up on Sunday at the exchange place and drops her off at Grandma's house.

Monday morning, his wife drops off their two-year-old at Grandma's; Monday afternoon, she picks up the two-year-old - but leaves Pebbles with Grandma. Tuesday through Thursday, repeat. Friday, pick up both girls and drop off Pebbles at the exchange place.
Apparently, Pebbles is dropped off at grandma's on Sunday and picked up on Friday. The two-year-old is dropped off and picked up daily, M-F.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Would a right of first refusal clause be appropriate in a case like this? As OP described it, this situation doesn't sound like it's fostering a relationship with dad at all.
Nope. Because mom is two hours from dad. And dad may be available. And OP you have NO SAY SO in any of this. Mom needs to handle her own issues. NOT you as you are a legal stranger.

LdiJ

Mom really needs to file for a modification. That is honestly a bad schedule.

During the school year, mom and the child need some weekend time together. Its only fair to the child that she have some quality, non-school time with mom too.

Same thing with the summer, the child needs at least the opportunity to vacation with mom. Mom should get a few weeks of the summer.

I disagree that its irrelevant that dad is not spending any time with the child. It is relevant. Its true that dad may share his time with his mother as he likes, but its still relevant.

Mom needs to hire an attorney and file for a modification.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

During the school year, mom and the child need some weekend time together. Its only fair to the child that she have some quality, non-school time with mom too.

Same thing with the summer, the child needs at least the opportunity to vacation with mom. Mom should get a few weeks of the summer.

I disagree that its irrelevant that dad is not spending any time with the child. It is relevant. Its true that dad may share his time with his mother as he likes, but its still relevant.

Who said it was irrelevant that dad is not spending any time with the child?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OP - it doesn't matter how peeved you might be. Or how much of a pain it is to you to make the drive. Because it's really not your place to have any say in the matter. If Mom has a problem with the situation, then she should address it.

And she'll need more than the word of an 8yo to prove that Dad spends no time with the kiddo. You can bet that, should she file, the situation will change. But not likely in the manner you desire.

Humusluvr

Agreed, and...

Isabella, you know that spending time with dad isn't irrelevant!

LdiJ

Missed that. And Isabella is quite wrong. If mom can prove that dad is spending NO time with the child then mom (NOT INTERFERING STEPDAD) needs to file for a modification.
Mom needs to file for a modification anyway. The child should get to spend at least one weekend a month with mom and a couple of weeks in the summer.

I know that WI is big on 50/50, but I can't imagine how a schedule like that got put in place in the first place. That child has to spend every single weekend of her life, traveling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">