• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turning phone off for school nights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Okla.

I have been turning my phones off around 8pm on school nights. My ex doesn't end up phoning until almost 9 and is unable to speak to our daughter(I get emails alerting me to voice mail) and she is very much asleep by that time. I have to cut the phone off sometime to keep her schedule. I have sole legal and physical custody can I get in trouble for turning off my phone so my daughter can get the rest she needs nightly for school? She is 8.

First time poster hope I did it correctly.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I'd email the ex and let him know why she's never available to answer his calls. Unless, of course, you are trying to control his access. :rolleyes: You aren't trying to do that, are you? If not, inform him of her schedule so he can call her at a more appropriate time.

I am not and do not want to limit access. I do however want to keep her on schedule. I have tried over the phone to establish an appropriate time for him to call. I have stated I will keep phone line open until 8.15 seeings how he is leaving work at 8pm. Tonight he phoned at 8.10 which was perfect and after they were finished speaking I reiterated that this is an excellent time for him to call and will always be able to speak to our daughter and it would not upset her schedule.

I do feel that 8.45 is too late as she fully asleep by then.

Bloopy

He has a 15-minute window to make the call if absolutely nothing at work gets in the way?

I'm all for a schedules but this is a tad restrictive on Dad.

Compromise with 8:30 to BEGIN the call.

Thank you for your support on sleep schedules. I feel a young child thrives best on no less than 8 hrs and more if they go down earlier if possible. I appreciate your insight and will consider 8.30.

Bloopy

Thank you for your support on sleep schedules. I feel a young child thrives best on no less than 8 hrs and more if they go down earlier if possible. I appreciate your insight and will consider 8.30.
What time is she getting up? Is there any way possible that THAT time can be bumped?

Your reply was polite but indicative of rigidity.

If you’re coming across as the all-knowing Queen of every aspect of kiddo’s best interests with the final say on every minutia of her life. You could get spanked in court.

8:30 is a MINIMUM as a suggestion.

15 minutes is basically the difference between Dad and child being able speak to one another daily. That’s a biggie.

It’s a minor bump to her sleep schedule. Talking to her father is more important. If a new bedtime is established, she will still be on a schedule.

CJane

So, if your child is 'well asleep' by 9... does that mean you're getting her up at 5?

Be a bit flexible for Dad. I'm betting, if you were still together and he didn't get home til 830 or 9, you'd be unlikely to say "Gee, Kiddo would have loved to have you tuck her in, but she's asleep now because that's the schedule." No?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If your daughter is going to bed at 8PM, what time is she getting up? I've always been a stickler for bedtime (I'm one of those parents who says "bedtime" and the child falls asleep!). But bedtime has became later as she's aged... Considering we have to be up and moving by 6AM, she gets a good 9 hours by her bedtime at 9PM (she is 11... she'll get 9:30 when she's 12 {maybe :p }). I realize not everybody has to get up that early, but you might want to think about it...

CJane

If your daughter is going to bed at 8PM, what time is she getting up? I've always been a stickler for bedtime (I'm one of those parents who says "bedtime" and the child falls asleep!). But bedtime has became later as she's aged... Considering we have to be up and moving by 6AM, she gets a good 9 hours by her bedtime at 9PM (she is 11... she'll get 9:30 when she's 12 {maybe :p }). I realize not everybody has to get up that early, but you might want to think about it...
Gawd, my 2.5 year old was dead to the world asleep every single night at 7pm. Without fail. Never a fight. I just put him in the crib, kissed him, covered him up and he was out.

Until about 3 months ago. I don't know if it's the staying light longer thing or what, but if I'm VERY lucky, he's asleep by 930 (in fact, he JUST fell asleep). Bedtime routine hasn't changed. Nothing has. Except his (apparent) need for sleep.

/hijack

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I hope you two are enjoying the psychic waves! :p

CJane hath quoted:
So, if your child is 'well asleep' by 9... does that mean you're getting her up at 5?
Bloopy hath quoted:
What time is she getting up? Is there any way possible that THAT time can be bumped?

sometwo

My stepson and daughter go to bed at 8pm on the dot. If they dont they get extremely tired and exhausted by the end of the week. This year I have let them stay up some nights until 8:30 but even then you can tell a BIG difference in them. My stepson's mother was told of his bedtime long ago and that he would not be able to talk past 8pm and we stick to that. However if this dad is getting off at 8 I would try to be a little flexible. My stepson's mother didnt work and my husband's sister had custody of her 2nd child so she really didnt have much to say with conflict.

This dad sounds like he's trying and Im glad you let him call to talk to her after 8. I would also encourage him , maybe on his days off , to call earlier and they would get more time to talk .

Indiana Filer

Completely off-topic, but I hate you people! My kids never slept! They still don't, but now that they are 17 1/2 and 21, it's not as bad for me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">