• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident at school game?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

me1973

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ia

We were at a high school football game and alot of the younger kids congregate and play by the baseball field during the game. Supposedly our son was climbing up the bleachers and bumped into someone who fell off the bleachers and may or may not have hurt his arm (haven't gotten any confirmation on any injury yet), this is all the talk coming from the kids. Son said yes, he did bump into someone but it was an accident, there are others who said it was someone else who bumped him..all of this coming from 3rd/4th graders. We couldnt find any adult figure who knew what had happened, stopped by the paramedics on the way out, they hadn't heard any injury. So, here we sit at 11pm on friday wondering what to do...do we contact the parents to find out? we aren't even sure what happened, we don't know if it was our son or not and don't want to admit to any fault, does it go to the school? Thanks for the advice!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Innocent accident, no malice, known risk of being a kid. No liability on anyone that I can see.
So, a person sitting (or standing, for that matter) and minding their own business on a bleacher assumes the risk of another person climbing up the bleachers and knocking him over?

Or, are you assuming that the kid who was hurt was also climbing all over the bleachers? (Which WOULD be an assumption of risk).

las365

Eh, you could re-post, but I don't see any reason to bother with that.

As for this incident, I don't think you need to be concerned until and unless you get some sort of notification that the possibly injured kid's parents that they are trying to hold your son responsible for the injury.

ecmst12

Being a kid and hanging out in a crowded area with other kids, yes it's inherently somewhat risky. Kids roughhouse sometimes, OP's kid didn't MEAN to hurt the other kid and probably feels terrible about it. If it was an adult, there might be some liability, but not for a child under 10. And the adults who were supervising can't reasonably be expected to prevent all accidents.

Zigner

Being a kid and hanging out in a crowded area with other kids, yes it's inherently somewhat risky. Kids roughhouse sometimes, OP's kid didn't MEAN to hurt the other kid and probably feels terrible about it. If it was an adult, there might be some liability, but not for a child under 10. And the adults who were supervising can't reasonably be expected to prevent all accidents.
As an analogy...
Driving a car is inherently somewhat risky. People speed and break other laws sometimes. The other guy didn't MEAN to run in to me and hurt me and probably feels terrible about it.
Again, if the injured child was just sitting there enjoying the game, then how in the world can it be considered that he (or his parents) assumed the risk?

As I said before...if the injured child was participating in the "roughhousing", then I would totally agree with you.

Zigner

Kid didn't break any laws, and kids can't be held to the same level of responsibility as adults.
It was an analogy :rolleyes:

Look - if both kids were playing around on the bleachers, then you are right and I am wrong. If the injured kid was sitting there watching the game when he was knocked off the bleachers, then you are wrong and I am right.

Simple enough :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">