• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance payout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cats46

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

My father died on May 14th and left a life insurance policy with my sister as the benificary.
He had verbally told both of us that the money left over after the burail was to be split equally.

Well, my sister took it upon herself to keep all the money. Is there any way that I can get my fair share?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

moburkes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

My father died on May 14th and left a life insurance policy with my sister as the benificary.
He had verbally told both of us that the money left over after the burail was to be split equally.

Well, my sister took it upon herself to keep all the money. Is there any way that I can get my fair share?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You don't have a "fair" share. A life insurance policy is a contract, and in that written contract your sister was the only beneficiary. Had your father written the beneficiary designations correctly, then you would have legally received a portion. Since she was the only beneficiary, she is the only one who gets the money - and 100% of it belongs to her. She wasn't even required to pay for the burial with that money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">