• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation ultimatum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dawnala

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? live in FL but work for a company in PA/DE.

I am currently the only remote employee with my company. I am a single mom with a 16 year-old who is a Junior in high school. My company has decided that my position should be located within the corporate office in Pennsylvania vs. remote. I am not in the position to uproot my family and relocate and they know this. I'm getting the distinct impression that they think if I am unable to relocate, I've essentially quit. I'm worried that I won't be able to receive unemployment benefits until the time I accept a new position. From some of the posts I've read, if I "refuse" to relocate causing the company to fire me then I should be eligible. Is this true? Obviously, my first priority is to find another position and find it quickly; however, as we all know that just doesn't always happen overnight. I believe my other option is to try to negotiate a severance package of some sort. They have already thrown around the idea of $5,000-$10,000 as a cost of living increase. Please...advise...please.

Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

Double post warning

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? live in FL but work for a company in PA/DE.

I am currently the only remote employee with my company. I am a single mom with a 16 year-old who is a Junior in high school. My company has decided that my position should be located within the corporate office in Pennsylvania vs. remote. I am not in the position to uproot my family and relocate and they know this. I'm getting the distinct impression that they think if I am unable to relocate, I've essentially quit. I'm worried that I won't be able to receive unemployment benefits until the time I accept a new position. From some of the posts I've read, if I "refuse" to relocate causing the company to fire me then I should be eligible. Is this true? Obviously, my first priority is to find another position and find it quickly; however, as we all know that just doesn't always happen overnight. I believe my other option is to try to negotiate a severance package of some sort. They have already thrown around the idea of $5,000-$10,000 as a cost of living increase. Please...advise...please.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/job-discrimination-harassment-30/location-discrimination-426942.html

Beth3

You're turning down work so it's a voluntary resignation. However chances are pretty high that you'll qualify for unemployment benefits, as an inability to pull up stakes and relocate is typically "good cause" to quit and still receive UC benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">