• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pro-Bono work for charity organiztion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goodfella

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Question: Can pro-bono work for a charity organization be considered a tax deduction?

The Circumstances: My wife has a graphic design business that she does from home which typically brings in $45k - $50k per year. She has a couple of regular clients that are charity organizations that she does pro-bono. Can she deduct the fees she would have charged for similar work done for 'regular' clients?

I am employed full time and we file as "Married Filing Jointly" with her business listed as a sole proprietor including a Schedule C.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

In general, no. But the case law is a little scattered when an actual product/item is created. See a tax professional who can review the facts and your tolerance for risk.

mtpockets

No deduction for value of labor

No. She never declared the income, so she cannot take an offsetting deduction for her services.

tranquility

While an excellent rule of thumb on helping determine if a person can get a deduction for something, it is not the law.

As I said, see a tax professional who can review your facts. There is case law which supports a deduction if a thing is created and given over. I assume part of a graphic designer will do is create a design and turn it over and the work (actually object) is given to the organization it may gain at least some deduction.

LdiJ

While an excellent rule of thumb on helping determine if a person can get a deduction for something, it is not the law.

As I said, see a tax professional who can review your facts. There is case law which supports a deduction if a thing is created and given over. I assume part of a graphic designer will do is create a design and turn it over and the work (actually object) is given to the organization it may gain at least some deduction.
I agree, particularly with a charitable donation. If you inherit 100k from your parents and a year later decide to give 20k of it to charity, that's still a charitable donation even though you never included the money in income.

Last edited:

tranquility

What if one were to donate appreciated stock one has held for over a year?

While I agree the OP probably does not deserve a deduction, I think there is a possibility to get something and a person who wants a deduction needs to see a tax pro.

LdiJ

What if one were to donate appreciated stock one has held for over a year?

While I agree the OP probably does not deserve a deduction, I think there is a possibility to get something and a person who wants a deduction needs to see a tax pro.
I was agreeing with you Tranq.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">