• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

repay relocation package

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zhuhaius

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I accepted a job on Sept and received a relocation package. Now I want to quit and the employer want me to repay the relocation package. The offer letter has two clause to mention for relocation package. One is for corporate housing and another for move cost relocation package. Now I only used the corporation housing and the employer want me repay it. My question is that in the offer letter it didn't mention to repay corporate housing. Do I have the right not to repay? Below is the clause of the offer letter regarding relocation package:

Two months of reasonable housing expense, to be substantiated with receipts, not to exceed $3000 per month.
An additional $5000 in exonomic assistance with moving expense. If your exployment with the compaby is terminated either voluntarily or for cause, within the first year of employment, we will require repayment of all funds advanced up to the $5000.

pattytx

I think $5000 repayment is for moving expense, not for corporate housing.
That's the way I interpreted it too, although I had to read it several times. However, I am not an attorney, so my "interpretation" has no legal meaning; only my reading comprehension is being tested here.:) In any case, the fact that you have received two responses that are nearly opposite implies that the clause is unclear at best.

ecmst12

They did advance the funds to pay for the corporate housing, it just didn't go into OP's pocket.

pattytx

They did advance the funds to pay for the corporate housing, it just didn't go into OP's pocket.
But those had to be "substantiated with receipts" which means, to me at least, the expense had to be incurred first, there not "advanced".

And another ambiguity rears its ugly head.

OP, have you ASKED what might be due back?

And honestly, two months ago and you want to quit already? :eek: This is why employers stop offering relo packages.

You Are Guilty

Ugh, another poorly worded "contract".

The ambiguity may be resolved if you've used all $3k in housing AND $5k in other expenses already. No matter how its interpreted, the employer is maxed out at a $5k recovery, so if you've already above that mark, you should be in the clear.

(If you're below, this is one that will require some negotiation and probably a small claims judge deciding it.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">