• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meal breaks.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jtrhoades

I live in Ohio, I work as a customer service rep for a large corporation that rents movies and video games etc.

My employer recently implemeted a policy that requires anyone who works a 6+ hour shift to take a 30 minutes un-paid meal break.

My question is, can they force me to take an unpaid break when I don't want to?
I don't get enough hours as it is and losing another 2-3 a week it putting me into an even tighter budget than before.

From what I've been able to find there isn't a state or federal law requiring them to even offer me a meal break much less force one on me.

justalayman

I live in Ohio, I work as a customer service rep for a large corporation that rents movies and video games etc.

My employer recently implemeted a policy that requires anyone who works a 6+ hour shift to take a 30 minutes un-paid meal break.

My question is, can they force me to take an unpaid break when I don't want to?
I don't get enough hours as it is and losing another 2-3 a week it putting me into an even tighter budget than before.

From what I've been able to find there isn't a state or federal law requiring them to even offer me a meal break much less force one on me.
You are right. They do not have to offer you a break but they can require you to take a break.

You can have the option of having this 1/2 hour break when they require it or I am sure they would be more than willing to offer you a lifetime break.

your choice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can force you to take an unpaid break if you do not want to, and they can fire you if you refuse.

The employer sets the hours of work, not you.

You are quite right that neither Federal nor state law requires breaks. Where did you get the idea that they had to be required by law before the employer could make the mandatory?

eerelations

Some states have a law like this, but not all.

The OP isn't asking if the law forces his employer to give him a break. He's asking if it's legal for his employer to force him (the OP) to take a break. And the answer to that is yes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no Federal law requiring any breaks whatsoever.

Many states require breaks but not Ohio, where the OP is from.

However, an employer may make breaks mandatory whether the law requires them or not, which is what the OP wants to know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">