• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My daughter's medical bills and my Ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Okla.

I have sent medical bills to my ex for his share of the payment to no avail. It is around $2500-$3000. I am having a mtg. with my atty. this week can I take these bills to somehow force him legally to pay? It is stipulated in the divorce the %s for us to pay. He is also in contempt for dr. visit co-pays he refuses to pay those and has told me as such. Thanks!

PS the bills are sent to me as I always admit our daughter so they are in my name.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Okla.

I have sent medical bills to my ex for his share of the payment to no avail. It is around $2500-$3000. I am having a mtg. with my atty. this week can I take these bills to somehow force him legally to pay? It is stipulated in the divorce the %s for us to pay. He is also in contempt for dr. visit co-pays he refuses to pay those and has told me as such. Thanks!

PS the bills are sent to me as I always admit our daughter so they are in my name.
How much time elapsed between you getting the bills and sending them to him? Also did you prove to him that you met your out of pocket requirement? How exactly is it stipulated regarding medical payments? Do you have to pay the first X amount and then it is split?

I have not paid my share and dont intend to until he pays his share and its 65% his half 35% my half. There is no stipulation of who pays first. I can't afford to pay that all at once and hospitals dont recognize the financial split from divorces.

They are 60 days past due I received the 2nd reminder from the hospital.

Last edited:

Bloopy

Letting bills go that are in your name because of a sense of fairness is always a bad idea.

Get on a payment plan tomorrow and begin to make payment by you lonesome.

Hopefully, Dad will chip in his share before you’ve reached “your” 35%.

Do realize the bill is in your name and if Dad isn’t meeting his portion, it’s between you and him and if need be the court.

It’s a bad idea to ruin your credit over being right against an Ex.

What does the order say about medical decisions etc? If you unilaterally decided incur non-emergency medical expenses, went out-of-network etc. it could affect Dad’s obligation.

Letting bills go that are in your name because of a sense of fairness is always a bad idea.

Get on a payment plan tomorrow and begin to make payment by you lonesome.

Hopefully, Dad will chip in his share before you’ve reached “your” 35%.

Do realize the bill is in your name and if Dad isn’t meeting his portion, it’s between you and him and if need be the court.

It’s a bad idea to ruin your credit over being right against an Ex.

What does the order say about medical decisions etc? If you unilaterally decided incur non-emergency medical expenses, went out-of-network etc. it could affect Dad’s obligation.

**The bills are an emergency my daughter is a chronic vomitor and when zofran wafers dont work i have to rush her to ER so they are all necessity. My credit is very bad already from being married so it cant get any worse. The divorce says nothing about medical decisions I have sole legal custody. I make all medical decisions.

I want the court or mediator who we are seeing this month to force him to hold up his side of the payment % from the divorce.

Bloopy

**The bills are an emergency my daughter is a chronic vomitor and when zofran wafers dont work i have to rush her to ER so they are all necessity. My credit is very bad already from being married so it cant get any worse. The divorce says nothing about medical decisions I have sole legal custody. I make all medical decisions.

I want the court or mediator who we are seeing this month to force him to hold up his side of the payment % from the divorce.

She vomits chronically?

Is the child on insurance and if so, did you follow the insurance’s protocol?

I do not understand why you did nothing about meeting your obligation. A payment plan would have “stalled” the matter without dinging your credit. It’s sad to see you so flippant about an obligation in your name.

Last edited:
She vomits chronically?

Is the child on insurance and if so, did you follow the insurance’s protocol?

I do not understand why you did nothing about meeting your obligation. A payment plan would have “stalled” the matter without dinging your credit. It’s sad to see you so flippant about an obligation in your name.
I refuse to pay this until he does reason being he will not pay his share and he has told me so. Ins. was followed this was after insurance was filed. My credit has been ruined for years. What is sad is her father screaming at me saying Stop wasting MY money on her doctors that is what's sad.

Also, wanted to ask since he is in contempt for not paying his share of her dr. appt co-pays what will my atty. ask the judge? Will a fine be handed down or what?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I refuse to pay this until he does reason being he will not pay his share and he has told me so. Ins. was followed this was after insurance was filed. My credit has been ruined for years. What is sad is her father screaming at me saying Stop wasting MY money on her doctors that is what's sad.

Also, wanted to ask since he is in contempt for not paying his share of her dr. appt co-pays what will my atty. ask the judge? Will a fine be handed down or what?
You cannot get dad on contempt as you are ALSO in contempt for not paying your share. You are playing a stupid game of one upmanship.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Really? Well the court will also force YOU to hold up YOUR side of the payment %. You are just as bad as dad is. If he is contempt so are you. No wonder dad hasn't paid anything. You are not showing yourself to be responsible or wanting to follow a court order either. Does your child have medicaid?

Yes she is on medicaid but that only pays so much along with insurance and I am currently unemployed I have no money to pay anything.

And that contempt question I changed the subject that was for dr. bills the co-pays I HAVE paid my share at the appt. dr's require it before services are rendered. My ex told me he has no intention of paying them and to stop wasting his money on our daughter's doctors!!! He is officially in contempt my atty. gave him 10 days to pay he has done nothing what will happen now?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes she is on medicaid but that only pays so much along with insurance and I am currently unemployed I have no money to pay anything.

And that contempt question I changed the subject that was for dr. bills the co-pays I HAVE paid my share at the appt. dr's require it before services are rendered. My ex told me he has no intention of paying them and to stop wasting his money on our daughter's doctors!!! He is officially in contempt my atty. gave him 10 days to pay he has done nothing what will happen now?
Medicaid covers the ENTIRE out ofpocket left after insurance. It does not just cover a percentage. So I am not buying that she has medicaid and dad owes you money.
Did you tell dad he could pay the doctor directly? Or do you want him to send YOU the money?
And quite frankly you are in contempt as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">