• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ripped of on eBay.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Charlie B

Ripped off on eBay.

I won an auction on ebay for a Marshall speaker cabinet on October 2nd 2008 for $522 + $50 for shipping which I paid for immediately with my mastercard. After about two weeks of sparse communication I haven't heard from the seller again since Oct. 16th. I opened a non-receipt dispute through paypal on Nov. 9th (I know I dragged my feet but I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, very naive on my part) which was automatically upgraded to a non-receipt claim which sent up the red flags for me.

So I waited the 10 days that paypal gave the guy to respond and he never did. They never heard from him and closed the claim at about 12am this morning. They sent me this message...

"We have decided in your favor, however, we were unable to recover any funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement, recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in question if they become available in the seller's account in the future and will take appropriate action against the seller..."

When I received that message I immediately opened a payment dispute through my credit card company. That's as far as I've gone at this point. I'd really really really like to see this guy get his just deserts legally and financially, is their anything else I could do at this time? I live in North Dakota and he lives in Arizona.

Also I've been in contact with another person who is going through a similar problem with this guy only he paid the guy much more for a guitar amplifier. This other buyer lives in Hawaii, and I'd like to give him some sound advice as well.

Last edited:

Charlie B

Well I'm getting my money back from the account protection program that I am enrolled in with my credit card. My concern now is that this guy is getting away scott-free for ripping me off, and quite possibly three other people, to the total sum of $2291.75 (that's including the $572 he swindled from me). Would this qualify as interstate wire fraud? It just burns me up thinking this bag of feminine hygiene product might actually get away with it. Should I contact my local law enforcement? Perhaps the local FBI field office? Maybe the local law enforcement center where this thief is from? Just let it go and be happy I'm getting my money back?

j991

Contact the local FBI field office, local, and state law enforcement agencies and hope for the best. All that you can claim is the money that you personally are out, not any other that you heard about from other people. When your CC gets back to you, let their fraud dept know that you are intrested in cooperating in seeking criminal charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">