• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support for Child no longer living at home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

My stepson (17-1/2 years old) is no longer living with his mother. He has moved in with a friend due to his mother and her husband being evicted from their home. She and her husband and moving in with her mother. My stepson is living with friends so that he can finish high school where he has been going the last 3-1/2 years. My husband pays child support to his mother every month and has never been late. The question is: Can we set up a escrow account for the child support and write checks out to the son instead of paying his mother the child support since she is not providing a roof over his head?

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First and foremost - BUTT OUT! You are not part of this. If hubby has such a problem following the court order, then HE should be on here asking questions.

Secondly, the court order must be followed. Lucky for you that you aren't mentioned ANYWHERE in that order as related to child support! :D

Stiper2

I would think since the child no longer lives at home with the parents...no support obligation has to be paid.

Stiper2

In Co the child must reside with one of the parents and be in school. Living with a "Friend" doesn't qualify as a parent.

Isis1

In Co the child must reside with one of the parents and be in school. Living with a "Friend" doesn't qualify as a parent.
a court order stated child support must be paid. until the support order says otherwise, the parent is obligated to pay the support regardless of what you think.

and btw, the OP is in NV. YOU are in CO. so your thinking matters even less.

Stiper2

So your saying if a child moves out to the streets. No one knows where the child is. Support obligation still is paid just becasue there is a court order....I beg to differ. Certain circumstances change the order.

Zigner

So your saying if a child moves out to the streets. No one knows where the child is. Support obligation still is paid just becasue there is a court order....I beg to differ. Certain circumstances change the order.
You are WRONG. If the order says that the money is to be paid, then it is to be paid. Without a court-ordered modification, the order stands.

Stiper2

I am not saying anything....but there are rules to support guidelines and one of those is the child must live with the custodial parent and be in school to receive child support unless there is a stipulation to modify saying the child will live with a "Friend" and both parents agree on this arrangement.

Last edited:

Zigner

I am not saying anything....but there are rules to support guidelines and one of those is the child must live with the custodial parent and be in school to receive child support unless there is a stipulation to modify saying the child will live with a "Firend" and both parents agree on this arrangement.
Ok, so tell us the remedy if the support guidelines aren't followed. (Assuming you are correct as far as the OP's state is concerned)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stiper2

I have a 18 yr old daughter who just recently moved out on her own. She is still a junior in high school. So according to you her mother still has to pay support to me even tho she is not living at home anymore until the age 19?

Stiper2

I am sure guildlines may vary from state to state. I have Denver Child support agency handling my case so I am in contact with them on an ongoing basis. THis is what they tell me.

haiku

Court orders are NOT up for interpretation based on what you think should happen.

Until a judge says otherwise, and gives you a new court order, the current court order must be followed, period.

Zigner

I have a 18 yr old daughter who just recently moved out on her own. She is still a junior in high school. So according to you her mother still has to pay support to me even tho she is not living at home anymore until the age 19?
Yes, that is what I'm saying. Until the court order is changed, it must be followed.

It's fine to ask questions, but don't post something as factual when you are just guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">