• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Stock Repurchase Program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cfspartan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming

If you are the sole owner of a C-Corporation, can your company initiate a share repurchase program? Example - company earns $100,000 for the year profit. Rather than distribute a dividend to its shareholders, can it repurchase shares for a stated amount from its shareholders? Wouldn't this be a favorable conversion of ordinary income to capital gain income? I know it's a bit out there, but a response would be appreciated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming

If you are the sole owner of a C-Corporation, can your company initiate a share repurchase program? Example - company earns $100,000 for the year profit. Rather than distribute a dividend to its shareholders, can it repurchase shares for a stated amount from its shareholders? Wouldn't this be a favorable conversion of ordinary income to capital gain income? I know it's a bit out there, but a response would be appreciated.
That is one that I would want to research and I don't have time to do that kind of research for free. Get a consult with a local tax professional.

I am guessing however, that there is probably case law out that that prohibits that in a closely held C-corp.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">