• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Certified" Car has rust spot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

explorerfl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.
I bought a used car that was certified by the dealership. It came with a 3mo.-3000 mi warranty and a 100K mile power train warranty. One week after purchase, I washed the car and noticed a rust spot on the window frame. I had initially thought it was a bird dropping and didn't bring it up when purchasing the auto. I reported it to the dealership and the salesman said that it's not covered. After bringing the car in for his inspection, he then said he had someone who would look at it and that he would get him to repair it at cost. My senses tell me that the dealership should make the repair at it's body shop for free. As this car is a "certified" vehicle that was put through a 121 point check, I feel that this problem should have been noticed by someone and repaired before sale. Am I thinking too fuzzy on this? Do I have any recourse in this matter? I signed a paper that said disputes would go to arbitration, not to court. That won't ever happen again but I need to understand if the salesman is just trying to divert me from a correct solution. Any help is appreciated. The cost of the repair from my local body and fender guy(good craftsman) is only $180 but I'm miffed that I didn't realize it was a rust spot. :mad:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.
I bought a used car that was certified by the dealership. It came with a 3mo.-3000 mi warranty and a 100K mile power train warranty. One week after purchase, I washed the car and noticed a rust spot on the window frame. I had initially thought it was a bird dropping and didn't bring it up when purchasing the auto. I reported it to the dealership and the salesman said that it's not covered. After bringing the car in for his inspection, he then said he had someone who would look at it and that he would get him to repair it at cost. My senses tell me that the dealership should make the repair at it's body shop for free. As this car is a "certified" vehicle that was put through a 121 point check, I feel that this problem should have been noticed by someone and repaired before sale. Am I thinking too fuzzy on this? Do I have any recourse in this matter? I signed a paper that said disputes would go to arbitration, not to court. That won't ever happen again but I need to understand if the salesman is just trying to divert me from a correct solution. Any help is appreciated. The cost of the repair from my local body and fender guy(good craftsman) is only $180 but I'm miffed that I didn't realize it was a rust spot. :mad:
It WAS noticed by someone prior to the sale...

xylene

the cars certification does not confer a warranty for paint blemishes.

This would not even be warranteed on most brand new cars.

Get it fix before it gets worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">