• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights vs theirs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
Good evening, I currently live with my fiance. He's 67, I'm 38 & we may or may not get married. What steps can I legally take now in case he has a serious illness or dies? His family & I get along well now, but you know when illnesses or deaths occur, the claws come out. I'm assuming I'll outlive him and want to protect myself in any event. Thanks in advance.

Just Blue

Good evening, I currently live with my fiance. He's 67, I'm 38 & we may or may not get married. What steps can I legally take now in case he has a serious illness or dies? His family & I get along well now, but you know when illnesses or deaths occur, the claws come out. I'm assuming I'll outlive him and want to protect myself in any event. Thanks in advance.
What steps to what?? Could you please clarify your question?:confused:

Dandy Don

AFTER you are married, ask him if he had prepared a last will and testament that names you as a partial beneficiary and has also named his children as beneficiaries, and has updated any insurance or pension beneficiary designations. Or, talk about these matters before you are married and see what his reaction is. As a surviving spouse you will be entitled by law to a certain portion of the estate depending on how long you are married to him.

msiron

You want to make sure the house is in both you names 'Tennant's by the Entirety' and make sure you are beneficiary of any life insurance, CD's, Bonds, bank accounts etc... and

of course you will need to be executrix of his will but if you can pull it off just get him to sign everything over to you right now!!! :eek:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Good evening, I currently live with my fiance. He's 67, I'm 38 & we may or may not get married.
That's not called a fiance - that's called a bed-buddy (or, in this case a sugardaddy)

cyjeff

That's not called a fiance - that's called a bed-buddy (or, in this case a sugardaddy)
Let's not get mean...

After all, when I reach 67, I would want one too... no matter WHAT it costs my family when I pass.

I didn't know Hugh Hefner's new "girlfriends" had access to the internet...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They don't. Even if they did, it wouldn't make any difference because all they can do [DELETED BY MODERATOR]!

:D
I'm guessing you said something controversial in order to have it deleted by the moderator.

Probably something like "...all they can do is play Boggle in their nightgowns."

VeronicaLodge

Let's not get mean...

After all, when I reach 67, I would want one too... no matter WHAT it costs my family when I pass.

I didn't know Hugh Hefner's new "girlfriends" had access to the internet...
oh please, hugh hefner is way over 67 and none of his girlfriends are even close to 38! that is ancient in bunny years

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">