• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer withholding error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PamSam

I found an error in my favor on my paycheck. I reported it to my employer immediately with the full expectation that I would be responsible for paying the money back...here's the rub. My employer is expecting me to pay it back using after-tax dollars instead of the pre-tax dollars that were supposed to have been withheld from my paycheck.

Read on for the whole story...

My employer failed to withhold pre-tax funds to be allocated to my Flexible Spending Account in 2008. I did not catch the error because I thought the deductions were coming from a different line on my check stub that had the word "Med" in it (I'm a new employee). I was getting FSA statements from UHC (the FSA manager) with updates on how much money was left to be used before the end of the year, so I had no reason to believe there was a problem.

I discovered the error when a new deduction line appeared on my check stub in 2009. I went to the payroll department immediately but I was told it was an HR issue. I reported the error to HR that same day. Two days later, the HR rep forwards me an e-mail from the corporate benefits department saying that since the FSA was not set up on their end, it should be treated as though I was not eligible, so I should immediatelty refund any money I used from the FSA. Both the HR and the benefits reps acknowledged in the e-mail that I had elected to participate in the FSA program and submitted the appropriate paperwork to do so. The HR rep also mentioned in the e-mail that she thinks she “did not enter that line on the Employee DBA Instructions row” which is an admission that she made a mistake.

Here’s the problem…

From the company’s perspective, it’s no big deal…too bad, so sad…we made a mistake, so you don’t get to have that benefit for 2008…better luck next year. I think that is wrong. I fully expect to fund the FSA, but the company needs to figure out how to do that with pre-tax dollars. It was their mistake and now they want to penalize me for it by revoking a benefit that we had agreed to as part of my employment. Can they do this?

The way I see it, it's no different than reneging on a promise. If I hired a handyman to fix my deck and we agreed that I would pay him $500 upon completion of the work, he would expect to get the $500. If I told him after the work was done that I made a mistake in my calculations and that I would only be paying him $400 he would sue me.

I am not trying to get out of paying into the FSA, but I don’t think it’s right for them to expect me to fund it using after-tax dollars since that was not the agreement at the time it was set up. Any thoughts?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

pattytx

If I'm understanding all of that, I don't disagree with you. Having said that, are you prepared to come up with the total today? And not fixing it at all means that you were reimbursed for expenses that were never funded, although you authorized the deduction; is the company ready to eat those funds?

Your Medical FSA statement doesn't show contributions posted?

mistoffolees

I found an error in my favor on my paycheck. I reported it to my employer immediately with the full expectation that I would be responsible for paying the money back...here's the rub. My employer is expecting me to pay it back using after-tax dollars instead of the pre-tax dollars that were supposed to have been withheld from my paycheck.

Read on for the whole story...

My employer failed to withhold pre-tax funds to be allocated to my Flexible Spending Account in 2008. I did not catch the error because I thought the deductions were coming from a different line on my check stub that had the word "Med" in it (I'm a new employee). I was getting FSA statements from UHC (the FSA manager) with updates on how much money was left to be used before the end of the year, so I had no reason to believe there was a problem.

I discovered the error when a new deduction line appeared on my check stub in 2009. I went to the payroll department immediately but I was told it was an HR issue. I reported the error to HR that same day. Two days later, the HR rep forwards me an e-mail from the corporate benefits department saying that since the FSA was not set up on their end, it should be treated as though I was not eligible, so I should immediatelty refund any money I used from the FSA. Both the HR and the benefits reps acknowledged in the e-mail that I had elected to participate in the FSA program and submitted the appropriate paperwork to do so. The HR rep also mentioned in the e-mail that she thinks she “did not enter that line on the Employee DBA Instructions row” which is an admission that she made a mistake.

Here’s the problem…

From the company’s perspective, it’s no big deal…too bad, so sad…we made a mistake, so you don’t get to have that benefit for 2008…better luck next year. I think that is wrong. I fully expect to fund the FSA, but the company needs to figure out how to do that with pre-tax dollars. It was their mistake and now they want to penalize me for it by revoking a benefit that we had agreed to as part of my employment. Can they do this?

The way I see it, it's no different than reneging on a promise. If I hired a handyman to fix my deck and we agreed that I would pay him $500 upon completion of the work, he would expect to get the $500. If I told him after the work was done that I made a mistake in my calculations and that I would only be paying him $400 he would sue me.

I am not trying to get out of paying into the FSA, but I don’t think it’s right for them to expect me to fund it using after-tax dollars since that was not the agreement at the time it was set up. Any thoughts?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What were the rules for FSA? Were you truly eligible under the FSA rules or did they make a mistake in thinking you were eligible? (You may have to contact the plan administrator).

If they made a mistake and you shouldn't have been eligible, then they are correct. You need to pay for items that came out of the FSA with after tax funds.

PamSam

Having said that, are you prepared to come up with the total today?
If the company tells me I have to come up with the funds today, I will pull from my emergency savings, but it doesn't seem fair to me that I should have to pay it back after taxes have been taken out.

And not fixing it at all means that you were reimbursed for expenses that were never funded, although you authorized the deduction; is the company ready to eat those funds?
That part, I don't know. I don't expect them to, but if I hadn't told them about their error, they would have anyway.

Your Medical FSA statement doesn't show contributions posted?

My benefits statement confirms the election and the FSA statement shows the funds posted and available. In fact, the company has it set up so that once the EOB is issued, a check is automatically cut from the FSA to cover the part that insurance did not cover. I was checking the EOB against the FSA statements, but nothing red-flagged me that it was not being deducted from my paycheck.

mistoffolees said:
What were the rules for FSA? Were you truly eligible under the FSA rules or did they make a mistake in thinking you were eligible? (You may have to contact the plan administrator).
The company benefits manager verified that I was eligible and did fill out the paperwork correctly making the election. The company has also acknowledged that it was a human resources keying error. The benefits manager said that didn't matter. If the money was never taken out of my check, then the FSA shouldn't have existed.

The way I see it, I am doing them a favor...if I hadn't caught it, the company would have had to eat the mistake and I would have walked away with free money. But that is not legal and it is not the way a good and honest employee behaves. I was just trying to do the right thing, and I think the company should treat me in kind. Why can't they just take it out of my check pre-tax over the next year by doubling up on my withholding?

PamSam

But there has to be a remedy. I can't imagine the IRS doesn't have a rule on this. Since the government changed the rules on FSA's allowing employees to use the funds two and a half months into the folowing year, it stands to reason that catch up contributions would be allowed during that period as well.

Granted, doing so, would mean that I would not see a paycheck for two months if they were to do this, it would certainly be more fair than making me eat the $500+ dollars that I was supposed to have saved by not having to pay on the funds.

PamSam

Here's an update...

After further review, the company agreed with me and is allowing me to fund the FSA retroactively using pre-tax dollars. It will require an amended W-2, but apparently the IRS has rules for how to do this...persistence pays off.

murphree1960

Okay...here it is 2013. I had the same thing happen to me. My employer failed to deduct the Health Flex Spending that I sign up for every year. Actually, the deductions came out of the first 2 payroll checks in January 2012 and then "just stopped". Human error I suspect. I am paying it back through payroll deduction out of each payroll check of 2013. Paying this amount back PLUS the amount I elected to have deducted for the year 2013. One major problem. When $2500.00 (2012) plus $2000.00 (2013) appears on my W-2 form for the year 2013, it will show $4500.00. I am screwed because the IRS's limit is $2500.00 per year. The verdict is still out for the answer to this but was wondering what would be the legal way to remedy this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please start your own thread - it is considered bad form on this forum to hijack & necropost. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">