• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

two names on Mortgage, one just died, how is this handled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

viper6383

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

My wife bought a house yrs ago with her dad as the co-signer. He just passed away a couple weeks ago. I am curious if anything will change regarding the note? We were REALLY dumb in not getting life insurance on him last year when he started doing bad. Just worried they could call the note now.

FlyingRon

No, federal law prohibits them from calling the loan in this circumstance. As long as she makes the payments things should be fine. What you should do is do what is necessary to remove dads name from the deed. If the property was owned jointly, that is often just a matter of bringing the death certificate to the court house. If she was tenants in common, you'll need to probate the father's estate most likely.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

My wife bought a house yrs ago with her dad as the co-signer. He just passed away a couple weeks ago. I am curious if anything will change regarding the note? We were REALLY dumb in not getting life insurance on him last year when he started doing bad. Just worried they could call the note now.
**A: search Garn St. Germain Act.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">