• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax filing questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TCool

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I am wondering if there is any reason I would be required to, or just should, file taxes for 2008.

Here is some information about my situation:
-I did not work at all during 2008.
-I received some child support for my daughter. The order is about 200 per month.
-I received a few government subsidized student loans
-I am a full time student.
-I agreed to allow my ex to claim our daughter.

I am unsure if I would be required to file because of child support or student loans, or anything else. Can anyone help?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I am wondering if there is any reason I would be required to, or just should, file taxes for 2008.

Here is some information about my situation:
-I did not work at all during 2008.
-I received some child support for my daughter. The order is about 200 per month.
-I received a few government subsidized student loans
-I am a full time student.
-I agreed to allow my ex to claim our daughter.

I am unsure if I would be required to file because of child support or student loans, or anything else. Can anyone help?
You have no taxable income, therefore you would not file a tax return.

LdiJ

Sweet, thanks. I figured that, but I wasn't sure if I needed to report the child support as income or not.
For the record, child support is NOT taxable income to the recipient...nor is it deductible for the payer.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Make sure you provide an 8332 for your X. Do NOT future date it; take it one year at a time.

If it were me, I would make a copy of it and keep with your files. Insurance.

TCool

Make sure you provide an 8332 for your X. Do NOT future date it; take it one year at a time.

If it were me, I would make a copy of it and keep with your files. Insurance.
Ya know, I thought I saw something once about a form for this.

Here's the problem, she already filed. Because I thought I saw that before I called the IRS, waited on hold for close to 2 hours and when I asked the guy about it he laughed at me and said that there was no form to worry about for this. Go figure...

Anyway, what now? Just fill out the form and have my ex file an amendment?

LdiJ

Ya know, I thought I saw something once about a form for this.

Here's the problem, she already filed. Because I thought I saw that before I called the IRS, waited on hold for close to 2 hours and when I asked the guy about it he laughed at me and said that there was no form to worry about for this. Go figure...

Anyway, what now? Just fill out the form and have my ex file an amendment?
No, just give your ex the signed form. He needs to have it on hand in case the IRS asks for it. They won't ask for it unless he gets targeted for an audit or mini-audit.

TCool

No, just give your ex the signed form. He needs to have it on hand in case the IRS asks for it. They won't ask for it unless he gets targeted for an audit or mini-audit.
Ok... but it's she. :p

I'm the guy in this situation. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">