• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid Off school loan repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

griphin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Hello

I was laid off by my employer and they feel that I owe them for the schooling they paid for while I was working their. These are not student loans I had before employment. I agreed to work for two years after I was done with school, being laid off I did not have the option to complete my two years. I understand that if I had left on my own terms or was fired I would being paying this back. Do I have anything to fight them with. Even if I did feel I should be paying this back their is no way I can afford the $400 a month payment they want. (they want it paid back in one year).

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Perky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Hello

I was laid off by my employer and they feel that I owe them for the schooling they paid for while I was working their. These are not student loans I had before employment. I agreed to work for two years after I was done with school, being laid off I did not have the option to complete my two years. I understand that if I had left on my own terms or was fired I would being paying this back. Do I have anything to fight them with. Even if I did feel I should be paying this back their is no way I can afford the $400 a month payment they want. (they want it paid back in one year).

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Did your contract address the issue of involuntary termination and the repayment of the tuition?

My employer (school district) offers employer-paid educational opportunities through local universities, but the terms of the contract are such that if employment is terminated, voluntarily or involuntarily, within 3 years following completion of the program, the tuition will be repaid by the employee. If the employee signs the contract, the employee knowingly assumes the risk.

griphin

no specific terms

The terms of the agreement were not specific when I signed the contract. They have since changed the wording to cover all types of termination. This change was made after I was laid off and already done with school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">