• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing the Federal government over retirement benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecmst12

There are federal courts located in your state (and every state) but only YOUR lawyer can tell you what specific court you need to file in.

Ronin

If suing the federal government, you should be able to do this in the closest U.S. District Court to your home. It is not likely venue would be challenged.

Before proceeding, you need to understand the exact reasons why your prior avenues of appeal lacked jurisdiction to hear your case. It may well be the federal court will also lack jurisdiction for the same reasons. This would be true if you waited too long to appeal.

Beyond that federal pensions are calculated based upon grade level, years of service, and salary. If a change in job title is accompanied by a reduction in grade and/or salary, that could negatively affect pension.

gmcgann

Since you're going to have to have an attorney anyway, just get the attorney and let him/her figure out where to file.
There are federal courts located in your state (and every state) but only YOUR lawyer can tell you what specific court you need to file in.
If you really see no difference in those two statements I'm glad I don't have you interpreting my contracts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">