• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suicide clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlsmith73

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My father recently committed suicide. He had dimentia that had progressed quickly, he was not in a sound mind. He had good days and bad days.
He had a life insurance policy with Nationwide. We are still waiting for the claim paperwork to arrive so that we can send in death certificate. My dad had this policy for at least 10 years. Do all policies have a suicide clause? Do you think it is possible my mom will receive the money that my dad worked for all his life. He was with the same company for 30 years. The dimentia robbed him of his mind. There are court documents and doctor statements proving that he had dimentia. I don't want to see my mom lose their house. They still owe a little money on it.
Any words of advice?
Thanks,
Michelle Smith

ErinGoBragh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My father recently committed suicide. He had dimentia that had progressed quickly, he was not in a sound mind. He had good days and bad days.
He had a life insurance policy with Nationwide. We are still waiting for the claim paperwork to arrive so that we can send in death certificate. My dad had this policy for at least 10 years. Do all policies have a suicide clause? Do you think it is possible my mom will receive the money that my dad worked for all his life. He was with the same company for 30 years. The dimentia robbed him of his mind. There are court documents and doctor statements proving that he had dimentia. I don't want to see my mom lose their house. They still owe a little money on it.
Any words of advice?
Thanks,
Michelle Smith
I have never seen a policy without a suicide clause. That doesn't mean that they don't exist, but as was pointed out, typically, 10 years would be more than ample time to be outside of the clause. I would recommend contacting Nationwide's life division directly, but in all likelihood, it was a 2 year clause.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">