• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevinc978

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ma

In Mass are employers required to pay a certain amount for private vehicle's driven for business's purposes.

IRS has a rate of .51 but does the employer pay whatever he wants or not at all?

Thanks in advance

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
MA is one of only two states that ever legally requires reimbursement for business expenses. However, the MA law is not as broad as CA's and only some expenses are required. I am unaware of any state law requiring that the full IRS amount be used; however, since I do not do the reimbursements myself I could be mistaken. If no one else knows for sure, contact the MA AG's office for clarification.

pattytx

If MA followed California's lead, the IRS rate would meet the requirement, but I couldn't find anything specific regarding MA.

Other than that, though, the IRS rate only means that any reimbursement above that rate is taxable income, subject to all payroll withholdings.

kevinc978

If MA followed California's lead, the IRS rate would meet the requirement, but I couldn't find anything specific regarding MA.

I cannot find anything regarding this and Mass I do find the CA. information but I need Ma. info can anyone help please.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If there isn't anything specific, you know what that means? It means that the employer can reimburse at whatever rate he wants.

Remember, in MA not all expenses are reimburseable by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">