• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If a stepparent passes away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SgtPink

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois but I think this may apply to other states too.

My husband and I are both in the military. I have my SGLV and all other money going to him in case I die. When it comes down to it, its alot of money.

My husband pays child support for his daughter and last I recall he is suppose to give my stepdaughter's mother 20%(per IL and the current child support order) of his income.

My questions is: Does he has to give her 20% of the money he gets for my death? I know that legally I have no financial responsibilty to my stepdaughter is my death money different?

Thank you for your time and help.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois but I think this may apply to other states too.

My husband and I are both in the military. I have my SGLV and all other money going to him in case I die. When it comes down to it, its alot of money.

My husband pays child support for his daughter and last I recall he is suppose to give my stepdaughter's mother 20%(per IL and the current child support order) of his income.

My questions is: Does he has to give her 20% of the money he gets for my death? I know that legally I have no financial responsibilty to my stepdaughter is my death money different?

Thank you for your time and help.

not to be morbid.....but...

upon your death. it's his money. no longer yours.

however, that money is not income. it's a one time lump payment. it can be leined upon should dad have arrears.

SgtPink

not to be morbid.....but...

upon your death. it's his money. no longer yours.

however, that money is not income. it's a one time lump payment. it can be leined upon should dad have arrears.
I figured as much what I meant with "my death money" was that is was my death not my money.

But thanks for the answer.

nextwife

If you and he now have, or may someday have children together, I'd have some life insurance go the a family or children's trust, to be used to the housing and care of the kids.

That way, if something terrible happens, like you die in a car accident, and he is long time hospitalized or disabled and unable to pay the required child support, your life insurance benefits your kids. After all, in such a scenario, his kids would still have an able bodied parents, but yours would not.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">