• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnish unemployment benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu103

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI I am paying a monthly amount on a hospital bill for 8 months now, ever since the balance came due after insurance paid. The hospital now tells me I can no longer make payments and must pay bill in full. I lost my job in January and told them that and also I would continue making the same monthly payment but did not have the balance on hand. They said no and filed suit. Can my unemployment benefits be garnished if the courts find for the hospital? Or does any one think that when I show the court my continuous and regular payments that I may prevail with a payment plan? I can also show the courts medication, COBRA, rent and utility expenses that exceed my unemployment benefit. Thank you for your time.

annajosie

I do not believe that your unemployment can be garnished. You should research this. Do a yahoo or google search and see what you can find out.

racer72

I do not believe that your unemployment can be garnished. You should research this. Do a yahoo or google search and see what you can find out.
Wrong answer. Unemployment benefits are considered taxable income and can be garnished. Your current expenses will not make any difference when it comes to the judge making his decision, your only defense is to prove you don't owe the money. The hospital will prove you do and will be granted a judgment. Sorry for the harsh answer but those are the facts.

stu103

I am not looking to get out of paying this as I have proof I have been paying regularly. What I don't get is the sudden hostility of the hospital. I spoke with them in person and on the phone and they seem to stick to a rehearsed script. "Pay us in full or get sued". I have asked repeatedly for a payment plan to continue in good faith and am ignored. They have given me payment plans in the past and I have completed them faithfully. There is no longer any respect or understanding in any business. Looks like it is time to talk to a local TV station. They love these stories now. I have had a kidney transplant years ago and have high medication bills along with high monthly COBRA payments. I'll borrow the money from family (I hope) and do my damnedest to get a story into the public. One other question. Why do most of the replies in this forum seem so hostile toward the ones asking? I was reading through different subjects and there is what I see as a "holier than thou" attitude here. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Thanks for the help.

ShyCat

The answers were not hostile, just direct and to the point. You have to realize that hospitals are simply not in the business of providing credit. That line of business is handled by banks, finance companies, credit cards, etc. Hospitals rightfully expect to be paid for their services in a reasonable time, not on some long drawn-out payment plan. Eight months is a LONG time for a hospital to wait for full payment.

stu103

Then why did they give me a one year payment plan to begin with? I negotiated this arrangement the day I left the hospital. Now they tell me it is no longer valid. I have not missed one payment and want to continue as I have been. I did not have to tell them I lost my job. I tried to be honest with them and assure them nothing would change and nothing has. I have not missed a payment per the agreement. This will be paid on time as agreed upon. I also stated the answers that I deemed hostile were from other questions I have read, I did not mean my own. Sorry if you misunderstood that.

CourtClerk

Then why did they give me a one year payment plan to begin with?
Because just like everyone else, financial circumstances change. Yours did, right? Are they exempt from having financial issues or needing money simply because they are a hospital? How many people are they supposed to carry on their backs because everyone needs payment arrangements? Are their creditors all taking payment year long payment arrangements? How about their employees?

stu103

So I guess the agreement I signed is worthless. Like I said no honor in any business. I have a signed document from the hospital. Yes, my situation changed and I assured them my payments would not be affected and they were not. There is a condition stating they may demand payment in full for non-payment which I can prove is not true. My payments have gradually become over 10 days early as my bill paying is on a biweekly basis. My April 14th due payment was sent March 30th and cleared my bank April 6th. The same day I found out they filed suit. All business that I know of work on credit. Net 30, net 90, net 120, etc, are all normal business practices and are normally due to a "signed" agreement between the two entities. The company I was let go from buys equipment and pays for it in installments. We were told exactly that when 12 of us were laid off. They cannot afford to make monthly payments and keep every one working when they lose orders. If they default on equipment loans they have nothing for the workers to run due to repossession possibilities, hence no machines to make product to sell. Also, employees are paid at least one week if not two weeks behind.

ShyCat

I also stated the answers that I deemed hostile were from other questions I have read, I did not mean my own. Sorry if you misunderstood that.

Ah yes, a snark disguised as an apology. Perhaps I again "misunderstood", but based on the tenor of your post, I doubt it. Oh well, sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear.

stu103

I got the answer. Unemployment is taxable income, hence it can be garnished if required. I was dumb enough to fall into the usual forum trap of responding to posts that have nothing to do with the actual question or topic. My fault. I should have thanked Racer72 and gone on my way. Live and learn. Bye now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">