• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

? In The Best Interest Of The Child!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4children

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My ex and I have Joint Legal and Physical Custody. The kids are with Dad 20-25 hours a week, M-F. With me (Mom) every night and every weekend. Dad filed for Primary Custody back in Aug, 08. We have had one Custody date, but Judge didn't make a ruling, and set another date a few months away. Giving me time to find employment (laid off), and to get permanent housing.

The youngest child is having a hard time in school. And, her teacher contacted me yesterday, and said Our daughter is getting worst. This has been going on since the first of this year. But, getting worst lately. She has good days and bad days. (Kids go to school in Dads district.) We live 25 miles apart. The Principal, and Assistant Principal, are also concern about her. They, try to talk to Dad about it, but he will not listen, or take it serious. He only see it his way. (Dad view of it, is she's just acting out). Which maybe the case, but neither one of us are professionals.

I mention to Our daughter Pediatrician of what's going on. Ped, suggested a ADHD assessment. She gave me paperwork for myself, Dad, and daughter Teacher to fill out. (I called Dad from the Doctor office, and told him about it). And he ask me why did she need it. My answer to Dad, BECAUSE, she's having problems in school. And, that's all was said on that day. I delivered the paperwork personally to the Teacher, and gave Dad his copy. Well, when the Teacher sent the paperwork in daughters backpack, {of all the days} Dad check the backpack. (Kids get off the bus at his home) So, a week past. I go to the school and ask daughter Teacher about the Paperwork. That's when she tell me she sent it home in daughter backpack. Well, I ask Dad does he have it, that I need his copy and also the teacher copy. He refuse to give it to me. Stated, he doesn't want Our daughter on the medication. (She's on Seizure medication,already) And, I stated I don't either. And, it may not be ADHD. But, we need to let the Professionals rule it out. Her older sister has it and is on Adderall. And she went through some of the same problems that Our younger daughter is going through now. I just want to fine out what's going on with her. She has so much potential. And, her Teacher is so sadden, because she was doing so well before the Custody issues. So, I called Our daughter Ped, yesterday and told her that Dad refuse to return the Teacher paperwork, and fill his out. She suggested that I return mine, and she will get her Nurse to fax a copy to the Teacher.

My questions are-

With myself and Dad having Joint Legal and Physical Custody.
Will I be in Contempt, if Dad is not in the process of getting daughter evaluated.

And, should I notify the kids GAL about this situation.

Sorry, for being so long.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If the children have a GAL notify her/him immediately. If the child needs assessed and the GAL agrees with it definitely go through with it. If the GAL disagrees then you have issues. Try to get dad on board. Be aware that you might face contempt and you cannot force/expect dad to pay for the assessment.

4children

If the children have a GAL notify her/him immediately. If the child needs assessed and the GAL agrees with it definitely go through with it. If the GAL disagrees then you have issues. Try to get dad on board. Be aware that you might face contempt and you cannot force/expect dad to pay for the assessment.
Thanks Ohiogal. Will do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">