• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Priest-penitent privilege

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timothy_jones

Sorry if I am posting in a wrong forum. I thought this was the closest match for my question.

My church wants to set up a system to record priest-penitent confessions for training and correction of the priests. The data will *not* circulate outside the church premises and will *only* be accessible to authorized personnel.

Security company said they won't sell me cameras and microphones, because it's illegal for them to do so. I dunno if there is some sort of law or something I can refer them to? Or is it really illegal to tape the confessions?

TJ

FlyingRon

It is certainly unethical and most likely against the cannons of all but the most bizarre churches.

WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN? We ask for a reason. The law is different in different states.

Antigone*

It is certainly unethical and most likely against the cannons of all but the most bizarre churches.

WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN? We ask for a reason. The law is different in different states.
While normally I agree with you 100%, Ron this time I don't. Who cares which darn state this guy is from, it is just dead wrong:mad:

timothy_jones

Hi FlyingRon. Thank you for fast reply! :) As far as I understand, the penitents are informed that they will be recorded and can refuse to do so if they are not comfortable with it. From what I am told the purpose is strictly to help train the priests. But anyway, the question of ethic is a subject for another discussion. :rolleyes:

The church is located in FL. Are there any laws against that?

TJ

HomeGuru

Sorry if I am posting in a wrong forum. I thought this was the closest match for my question.

My church wants to set up a system to record priest-penitent confessions for training and correction of the priests. The data will *not* circulate outside the church premises and will *only* be accessible to authorized personnel.

Security company said they won't sell me cameras and microphones, because it's illegal for them to do so. I dunno if there is some sort of law or something I can refer them to? Or is it really illegal to tape the confessions?

TJ
**A: sounds weird to me.

timothy_jones

**A: sounds weird to me.
I understand and agree with yall. If it's only weird, I will leave it to the church and the God to decide. If it's illegal, I ain't putting my neck on the line :eek:

EDIT: So the question remains -- is there any legal problem that it would pose in FL? Anyone know?

TJ

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Since all parties have consented, it should be legal...

All parties must consent to the recording or the disclosure of the contents of any wire, oral or electronic communication in Florida. Recording, disclosing, or endeavoring to disclose without the consent of all parties is a felony, unless the interception is a first offense committed without any illegal purpose, and not for commercial gain. Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03. These first offenses and the interception of cellular frequencies are misdemeanors. State v. News-Press Pub. Co., 338 So. 2d 1313 (1976).
"Can We Tape?"

But of course, if you forget to completely inform just one person and you could go to jail.

But just because its legal doesn't mean that the security company is required to do business with you. Personally, I wouldn't. And if I was a member of the church, I would leave.

Security company said they won't sell me cameras and microphones
So why the video? The audio alone seemed creepy enough.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing - your penitent is now having a consentual conversation with a priest and one or more unknown parties to be named later. Arguably, this is no longer a private conversation and may be subject to discovery. Consult with a local lawyer for guidance.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Y'all want to turn the confessional into a reality show? :confused: :eek:

I can imagine the name of the show now: Sinners Confess!!!!!!!!!! (note the many exclamation points -- :rolleyes:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">