• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stealing from the company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LUCY88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Va. I am involved in a termiantion of an employee who was caught stealing. A union rep. says that the employee did not steal enough to be terminated. They state that it is a wrongful termination. My boss feels that stealing does not have a value on it and since the employee confessed to the theft the company would terminate. My question is How much is considered stealing from the company?

mlane58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Va. I am involved in a termiantion of an employee who was caught stealing. A union rep. says that the employee did not steal enough to be terminated. They state that it is a wrongful termination. My boss feels that stealing does not have a value on it and since the employee confessed to the theft the company would terminate. My question is How much is considered stealing from the company?
The union rep is an idiot. Stealing is stealing period! What does the cba state about terminable offenses? If it doesn't state anything (which I doubt) then I would proceed with the employee's termination and let them grieve it.

Beth3

Did not steal ENOUGH? I agree - the union rep is an idiot. (If someone swiped money from his wallet, I wonder how much would have to go missing before he objected. Five dollars? Twenty? A hundred?)

You may lawfully terminate an employee for stealing a paper clip if you wish to. You should check your CBA of course but I seriously doubt it contains a "theft threshold," e.g. what the dollar limit or value has to be before you can discipline or terminate an employee for theft.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination means that a specific law prohibits the employer from firing the employer for the reason they did. Unless the CBA specifically states that the employee cannot be termed unless they have stolen x and not if they have stolen less than x, this is not even close to a wrongful termination. The union rep does not have the sense God gave the average two by four.

You Are Guilty

Wow - they must teach that stuff in Union Rep training. I had a similar case where an employee sued his employer after he was caught (and admitted) to stealing a pen. His rep also argued that "just" stealing a pen was insufficient grounds for termination.

Needless to say, he stayed terminated :)

HomeGuru

Wow - they must teach that stuff in Union Rep training. I had a similar case where an employee sued his employer after he was caught (and admitted) to stealing a pen. His rep also argued that "just" stealing a pen was insufficient grounds for termination.

Needless to say, he stayed terminated :)
**A: maybe the union rep has the half pregnant reality.

LUCY88

Thanks for the help my boss is usually pretty good about these things and has given certain people a chance when it comes to discipline but, the way the economy is stealing is one thing he just doesn't let slide

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">