• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I die as a permanent resident, can my son stay in the US till he gets his citizens

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Summerbrz

I live in Virginia.

Hi, I was granted Asylum Status (& my older son) indefinitely in this Great Country a few years ago. I have been a permanent resident for two years now. I have two sons 17 years old who was included with me in the asylum case and of course he is a permanent resident as well, and 11 years old son who is a US citizen. My question is: if I die before I get my US citizenship (in 3 more years), would my older son (at least) be allowed to stay in the US till he gets his citizenship. The father is overseas. My asylum was based on domestic violence case, and social group suffering. My kids (and ) would not want to go back and live with their father is something would happen to me. My utmost priority is for my older son to get his citizenship in 3 more years, I think then if he is 18 years old (next year) he is considered an adult and can take care of his brother and wait till he gets his US citizenship. Please advise.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

evcalyptos

I live in Virginia.

Hi, I was granted Asylum Status (& my older son) indefinitely in this Great Country a few years ago. I have been a permanent resident for two years now. I have two sons 17 years old who was included with me in the asylum case and of course he is a permanent resident as well, and 11 years old son who is a US citizen. My question is: if I die before I get my US citizenship (in 3 more years), would my older son (at least) be allowed to stay in the US till he gets his citizenship. The father is overseas. My asylum was based on domestic violence case, and social group suffering. My kids (and ) would not want to go back and live with their father is something would happen to me. My utmost priority is for my older son to get his citizenship in 3 more years, I think then if he is 18 years old (next year) he is considered an adult and can take care of his brother and wait till he gets his US citizenship. Please advise.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your older son is a Permanent Resident, and that is not dependent on your status. He can apply on his own after 5 years of PR status, the same as anyone else.
He becomes a legal adult in the US at age 18. It's not unheard of for someone quite young like that to take over care of a younger sibling. I know it's a hard thing to think and talk about, but you should make plans with the kids for how they can look after each other if something happens to you.

Be sure the older boy knows where his important documents are, and show him how to handle his citizenship application when the time comes.

xylene

Are you gravely or terminally ill or engaged in a dangeorus occupation or facing a substantially increased risk of death for some reasonen OR are you just worried.

If you are really facing mortality issues - you need to consult lawyers - for a trust and for your surviving childrens immigration needs.

Who helped you when you sought asylum? That might be a place to start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">