• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cobrakai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
Well here's the deal. My son's mom is moving to California and was supposed to leave June 22nd according to the court relocation paperwork we both signed. Well I go to get my son today at my normal time on Saturdays to have him for my visitation period and they already left. No warning, no goodbye, nothing. My son is only 4 so he couldn't really do much if he wanted to see me before he left.
Is there anything I can or should do? I'm a split between really mad and really sad that I couldn't say goodbye to my son. Please let me know if there's anything I can do. Thank you.

Just Blue

Well here's the deal. My son's mom is moving to California and was supposed to leave June 22nd according to the court relocation paperwork we both signed. Well I go to get my son today at my normal time on Saturdays to have him for my visitation period and they already left. No warning, no goodbye, nothing. My son is only 4 so he couldn't really do much if he wanted to see me before he left.
Is there anything I can or should do? I'm a split between really mad and really sad that I couldn't say goodbye to my son. Please let me know if there's anything I can do. Thank you.
I would file for contempt for the denial of your court ordered visitation.

LdiJ

I think it was extremely tacky of mom to leave early, but I am not entirely sure I agree with the other posters that you should file for contempt at this point. I am not sure it would be as productive as it could be.

What are the agreed orders regarding ongoing parenting time..phone contact..etc? If mom violates more than just the fact that she left early, you might have a stronger position in court.

cobrakai

Well I filed a report with the police and got a case number. I'm supposed to get weekly phone calls and webcam time with my son.

LdiJ

Well I filed a report with the police and got a case number. I'm supposed to get weekly phone calls and webcam time with my son.
Ok, then, if she denies any at all of the phone and webcam time, then you have two issues to bring to court, and not just something that she can state was a misunderstanding about dates.

cobrakai

Well now I can't talk to my son because she's ignoring my calls and texts. How do I file a contempt motion or whatever the proper paperwork would be?

LdiJ

Well now I can't talk to my son because she's ignoring my calls and texts. How do I file a contempt motion or whatever the proper paperwork would be?
What exactly does your order state about the weekly phone calls? Its only been two days since you posted that she left early. How many scheduled calls have you missed?

CJane

What exactly does your order state about the weekly phone calls? Its only been two days since you posted that she left early. How many scheduled calls have you missed?
And if you don't have SCHEDULED calls (as in every Wednesday between 6 and 8 pm) then you are going to have a REALLY hard time enforcing any sort of schedule.

She's under no obligation to answer the phone when you call outside the scheduled time. And she's under no obligation to answer a text message.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">