• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I move out of state with disabled son ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

txmom512

I think, in this case, OP is right - unless you have personal experience with autism, it would be best to stick w/ the legal advice.

Being from here, I can tell you that OP is right, there is much more opportunity - MUCH more - for autistic children down here in Texas than anywhere else in the country. I work with a woman who moved down here from up north somewhere because of her autistic son, so while I've never had to deal with it personally, I've actually heard a lot about it.

OP - I think it would be best to do as much research as possible and present your case clearly. I truly hope you will be given the opportunity to do what's best for your autistic child.

nextwife

Easter Seals Wisconsin : Services for Children and Adults with Disabilities and Special Needs[/url]

Until you have done research on programs that are available or you know exactly where I live in Wisconsin I'd think twice about offering up information about Easter Seals. I have checked into it and the organizations they have are 4 hrs. away. Nothing like putting an Autistic child in a car for a 15 hr day. Do you even have any knowledge on Autism ? Do you even have kids ? I have checked into summer camps or weekend get a ways with the Easter Seals program. Know what they charge ? $800.00 . Now you tell me you don't need a good job to be able to offer your child a chance to be around kids and adults that understand you. Guess what ? We don't qualify for any assistance because they say we make to much money.EVERYTHING comes out of our pockets.A family of 5 making $ 42,000.00 a year is TO much money. Do research BEFORE you offer up your advice
Eagles has this:

Moon Beach, Wisconsin Autism Camps

There are two autism summer camps held at Moon Beach in Wisconsin. Camp AweSum is designed for children aged 8-15 years on the autism spectrum and the Autism Spectrum Family Camp.

The 2009 session of the Autism Spectrum Family Camp will begin on August 16 and run through August 22. The family camp is designed so families that include a child on the autism spectrum can gather with similar families in a traditional camp setting.

Autism Summer Camps in 2009: Eagles for Autism Soccer Camp, Moon Beach and Camp Bridge | Suite101.com

Lubavich has this:
Friendship Circle exemplifies how Lubavitch ‘peels back barriers’ - The Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle

The Lions has this:
Wisconsin Lions Camp

Here's a number of other WI camps for kids with various disabilities:
http://www.cesa10.k12.wi.us/services/special_education/web/Newsletters/SummerCamps.pdf

CourtClerk

I'm wondering why (once again) some people ASSUME that the OP is the ONLY one who has experience with/knows someone with/is related to someone with autism?

Is there only 1 child in the world with autism so that no one else has experience with them? My best friend's son is a non verbal autistic. Very low functioning. My son's playmate at the afterschool program is autistic. Before I went BACK to court services, I worked for a private non profit organization that hands down has the largest day programs and homes throughout California offered to not only autistic individuals (both adults and children) but for all developmentally disabled individuals. I job coached and mentored some of these people. None of them had to move to TX to get services :rolleyes:

abys32

Eagles has this:

There are two autism summer camps held at Moon Beach in Wisconsin. Camp AweSum is designed for children aged 8-15 years on the autism spectrum and the Autism Spectrum Family Camp.

The 2009 session of the Autism Spectrum Family Camp will begin on August 16 and run through August 22. The family camp is designed so families that include a child on the autism spectrum can gather with similar families in a traditional camp setting.

Autism Summer Camps in 2009: Eagles for Autism Soccer Camp, Moon Beach and Camp Bridge | Suite101.com

Lubavich has this:
Friendship Circle exemplifies how Lubavitch ‘peels back barriers’ - The Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle

The Lions has this:
Wisconsin Lions Camp

http://www.cesa10.k12.wi.us/services/special_education/web/Newsletters/SummerCamps.pdf
Great list!

Just Blue

I think, in this case, OP is right - unless you have personal experience with autism, it would be best to stick w/ the legal advice.

Being from here, I can tell you that OP is right, there is much more opportunity - MUCH more - for autistic children down here in Texas than anywhere else in the country. I work with a woman who moved down here from up north somewhere because of her autistic son, so while I've never had to deal with it personally, I've actually heard a lot about it.

OP - I think it would be best to do as much research as possible and present your case clearly. I truly hope you will be given the opportunity to do what's best for your autistic child.

Well I guess I can comment as my DD has PDD....:rolleyes:

abys32

I was aware that families in the Phila area used to move to Bucks county because the autism programs were know to be excellent. I was not aware of any out-of-state moves except maybe between NJ and PA. I was also not aware of any custody issues that may have been involved. I think that this has probably been dealt with before and that the Autism folks probably know where to find the case law. Like I said, they are a force to be reckoned with.

There is a saying in education law "The child is not entitled to a Cadillac if a Chevy will take them there." What it means is that a school district is only requried (by law) to provide adequate services, not the best services. If the school district in Wisconsin provides a program which they can prove to be adequate for educating this child, they are not required to meet the higher standards that may be available in Texas or elsewhere. School personell have actually been known to say "if you like their program better there, move there."

I'm not advocating for or against the move. I don't know what compelling arguments may have been offered in the past and how the courts have responded.

Last edited:

jkejakesmom

Welcome,
First of all, it sounds like you have made a real effort to coparent so far. It sounds like what you are presenting is two sets of reasons to argue your case for being able to move with your son. 1) the job 2) the education. Both are legitimate concerns. Is what you are asking is how the courts could respond if you present them there, especially since your child's father does not agree with the move? You are wondering whether either or both issues compounded help your case?

Would you describe the education issue? What services does he currently receive and what is lacking in your district compared to Texas?
YES YES and YES Finally someone who is referring to my original questions.

abys32

Eagles has this:

Lubavich has this:

The Lions has this:
Wisconsin Lions Camp

You don't necessarily need to worry about the cost of these camps. You may be able to have the school district pay. Usuaully, autistic children have extended school year on the IEP. Does yours refer to ESY? Please check if you're not sure. It is important for a few reasons.

jkejakesmom

Have you tried searching or posting on an Autism website? Parents of autistic children tend to be a strong group with strong advocates, particularly educational advocates. I can offer some links if you are interested.
Yes I am in with the Cafe Moms group.

jkejakesmom

Eagles has this:

Lubavich has this:

The Lions has this:
Wisconsin Lions Camp

Thank you for the links I will check into these services.

jkejakesmom

I'm wondering why (once again) some people ASSUME that the OP is the ONLY one who has experience with/knows someone with/is related to someone with autism?

Is there only 1 child in the world with autism so that no one else has experience with them? My best friend's son is a non verbal autistic. Very low functioning. My son's playmate at the afterschool program is autistic. Before I went BACK to court services, I worked for a private non profit organization that hands down has the largest day programs and homes throughout California offered to not only autistic individuals (both adults and children) but for all developmentally disabled individuals. I job coached and mentored some of these people. None of them had to move to TX to get services :rolleyes:
You are talking about services in California and I originally looked into CA but cost of living was high and husband couldn't find jobs.In our community there is probably only a dozen Autistic children where as in the city we are looking into living in Texas has over 300 students in there schools.

Isis1

You are talking about services in California and I originally looked into CA but cost of living was high and husband couldn't find jobs.In our community there is probably only a dozen Autistic children where as in the city we are looking into living in Texas has over 300 students in there schools.
convenient for your husband isn't it? stop focusing on your husband's job and focus on your son's care. take your husband out of the equation. i'm not saying this to antagonize. if you want to present this in court, bringing up your husband's career isn't going to help you.

jkejakesmom

convenient for your husband isn't it? stop focusing on your husband's job and focus on your son's care. take your husband out of the equation. i'm not saying this to antagonize. if you want to present this in court, bringing up your husband's career isn't going to help you.
I have been focused on my sons care it's all you people that keep bringing up the money issue.If you were planning a move wouldn't you look for a better paying job.It's kind of hard NOT to bring up my husbands job. He brings home the bacon that supports this family. And him getting a BETTER job will open up more doors to those resources for my sons care. Money that our insurance makes us pay for out of our pocket because they don't cover some or all services when it comes to Autism.Should we find jobs down there that pay us way less or better yet we could just move there and live off the government. Sounds like a good plan to me. Judge would really go for that one. Betcha he says yes to that one right away, don't you think

Last edited:

Nativity

Maybe you could tone down the attitude towards those who respond a bit. It's understandable that it's a frustrating situation but these people are volunteers providing this advice and help to you for free and on their own time.

Most responding have either been in a similar situation or are extremely knowledgeable in the area, so I would take what they say to heart and really listen it could help you out in a long way.

jkejakesmom

one last post for all you people that are more or less saying that because I want to better our son's life I am wrong for it because I'm taking him away from his father.I don't want to bash him but everyone of you that posted seemed OK to bash me. Maybe I should fill you in a little on DEAR DAD. When we went to court to put the 50/50 placement on the table I told him it was HIS responsibility to get our son to/from school on his days. I also told him that in summer it was His responsibility to have some one to watch our son on his days when we are working. 1ST year or two worked out, he either quit his job or he was on second shift. But for the next 4 yrs. they made it MY responsibility to take him to school because they both worked 1st shift jobs and I don't start work til 11am .He would either bring him home the night before or drop him off in the morning. So technically I had him more than 50/50 and I should of gotten child support. But I didn't.

How about an incident that just happened this last Fri.It was DADS weekend and they were over at step moms nephews b-day party. Our son had a MAJOR meltdown and it was soooo EMBARRASSING that he acted that way. Who do you think DEAR OLD DAD called..... Me. He didn't ask he TOLD me he was dropping him off. Why couldn't they have left the party and went home with him like we do when it happens on our weekends. Because he went back to the party. And there was no "we'll pick him up on our way home. They left him over night. This happens quit a bit when they can't handle him.

I am the one that deals with school when something happens cuz they cant leave there jobs to deal with it.I am the one that leaves work short notice to pick son up from school cuz DAD is out fishing and step mom gets out later than school does.I am the one that takes off of work when they don't have school. They can't cuz they are working. I would have been too. How about the time DEAR DAD got busted for his 3rd drunk driving and when he had to sit in jail for 2weeks he told his son he was going fishing out of state.Or how about the time when I went to wake up my son from the front seat of his truck there was a pot pipe laying right next to him.

And I'm a bad parent for loving my son. THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">