• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I move out of state with disabled son ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkejakesmom

Maybe you could tone down the attitude towards those who respond a bit. It's understandable that it's a frustrating situation but these people are volunteers providing this advice and help to you for free and on their own time.

Most responding have either been in a similar situation or are extremely knowledgeable in the area, so I would take what they say to heart and really listen it could help you out in a long way.
How can I calm down when these people are judging me for wanting to better my son's life and get him the resources that he needs to succeed in life Saying that I'm the bad parent because I want to move him from his father to go to a different state.

They are twisting the fact that my husband can get a better paying job to help pay for the resources that insurance doesn't cover. They think that , that is the only reason we want to do this. Well shouldn't it be top priority that we have a descent income to support us.

jkejakesmom

Maybe you could tone down the attitude towards those who respond a bit. It's understandable that it's a frustrating situation but these people are volunteers providing this advice and help to you for free and on their own time.

Most responding have either been in a similar situation or are extremely knowledgeable in the area, so I would take what they say to heart and really listen it could help you out in a long way.
Most haven't given ANY advise they were to quick to jump down my throat for wanting to take my son away from his father.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Most haven't given ANY advise they were to quick to jump down my throat for wanting to take my son away from his father.
Because that's the point. You want to take him away from his father, and that's a pretty big deal. Directing your attention to that is the best advice you can get, because that's your problem. I understand your reasoning for wanting to move, but how cooperative would you be if your ex wanted to move your son that far away from you, regardless of the reasons?

You go on to suggest why the father doesn't deserve consideration, but the only relevant issue is whether bringing him home from the party or not being able to take him to school because he worked first shift, or telling him he was fishing when he was really in jail are legally justifiable reasons for restricting his rights as a father. No, they're not. Not because anyone here says so, but because the law says so. Don't shoot the messenger.

Your question is what you have to do to be permitted to move. The answer is you have to convince a judge that it's in your son's best interest. That's it. You tell him about the schools and the higher income to be able to afford the schools, and he makes his decision. As good as you think your reasons are, be prepared to be denied because that might happen. There's nothing you can do to force a ruling in your favor.

CJane

Because that's the point. You want to take him away from his father, and that's a pretty big deal. Directing your attention to that is the best advice you can get, because that's your problem. I understand your reasoning for wanting to move, but how cooperative would you be if your ex wanted to move your son that far away from you, regardless of the reasons?

You go on to suggest why the father doesn't deserve consideration, but the only relevant issue is whether bringing him home from the party or not being able to take him to school because he worked first shift, or telling him he was fishing when he was really in jail are legally justifiable reasons for restricting his rights as a father. No, they're not. Not because anyone here says so, but because the law says so. Don't shoot the messenger.

Your question is what you have to do to be permitted to move. The answer is you have to convince a judge that it's in your son's best interest. That's it. You tell him about the schools and the higher income to be able to afford the schools, and he makes his decision. As good as you think your reasons are, be prepared to be denied because that might happen. There's nothing you can do to force a ruling in your favor.
The only correction I would make to this post is that she doesn't JUST have to prove best interests. She has to prove a significant and continuing change in the circumstances of the child. That change must be such that the relocation/restriction of Father's time is justified.

Child's regression MIGHT be significant enough. MAYBE. But w/out an attorney and an expert witness who can attest that the regression was avoidable and that TX is the ONLY 'treatment' option, I don't think it's a successful bid. I just don't.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
The only correction I would make to this post is that she doesn't JUST have to prove best interests. She has to prove a significant and continuing change in the circumstances of the child. That change must be such that the relocation/restriction of Father's time is justified.
That's a pretty important distinction, thanks for making it.

LdiJ

I'm wondering why (once again) some people ASSUME that the OP is the ONLY one who has experience with/knows someone with/is related to someone with autism?

Is there only 1 child in the world with autism so that no one else has experience with them? My best friend's son is a non verbal autistic. Very low functioning. My son's playmate at the afterschool program is autistic. Before I went BACK to court services, I worked for a private non profit organization that hands down has the largest day programs and homes throughout California offered to not only autistic individuals (both adults and children) but for all developmentally disabled individuals. I job coached and mentored some of these people. None of them had to move to TX to get services :rolleyes:
None of them lived in WI either...:rolleyes:

Wisconsin Autism Insurance Now-

STATE SENATE PASSED AUTISM INSURANCE MANDATE
June 18, 2009
The Wisconsin State Senate passed the autism insurance mandate as part of the 2009-11 state budget last evening! The Senate passed the language contained in Senate Substitute amendment 1 to SB3 which sets the floors of coverage at $60K for intensive level services, and $30K for nonintensive services. Please contact our Senate legislative champion, Sen. Judy Robson of Beloit, and thank her for her strong support and advocacy on behalf of the autism community. She can be reached at: 608-266-2253 or [email protected].

meanyjack

And this coming from someone who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about, which is why YOU are here.
Yeah, you're in a position to make that statement. :rolleyes: You're the typical fool who responds like you did when you didn't hear what you were expecting to.

And it's ADVICE. Learn to spell basic words. And proper usage. Like SOLE. :rolleyes:

meanyjack

It's kind of hard NOT to bring up my husbands job. He brings home the bacon that supports this family. And him getting a BETTER job will open up more doors to those resources for my sons care.
And that is irrelevant as he is not a legal parent. He has no rights to this child. The LEGAL FATHER to this child you are trying to yank half-way across the country has as much right to fight for against YOUR move WITH THE CHILD than you do to fight to move w/the child.

Your husband has no legal bearing here. And I noticed how you ignored the option presented to you of YOU giving residential custody to Dad and YOU doing the "visiting." Then you fighting to defend the move wouldn't be an option and you can move wherever hubby wants because of a job. But let me guess, because you're the mother, you won't have any of that, huh? It's Dad who has to get bent over and screwed huh? :rolleyes:

Money that our insurance makes us pay for out of our pocket because they don't cover some or all services when it comes to Autism.Should we find jobs down there that pay us way less or better yet we could just move there and live off the government. Sounds like a good plan to me. Judge would really go for that one. Betcha he says yes to that one right away, don't you think
Oh stop your (expletive) whining because you're getting your ignorant a$$ handed to you. I suggest clueless posters like you learn to read. Read AND COMPREHEND, which you are not doing.

YOU can move anywhere you want. You just can not move anywhere you want with the child. And your so-called arguments you're making here aren't carrying much weight. A Judge is not going to by that the only place to get SUFFICIENT care for your child is TX. It doesn't matter if you think it's better than where you're at. SUFFICIENT care is the key word.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Guys let Abys answer her. Apparently she likes the legally ignorant to respond to her because she hears what she wants.

abys32

If you do return here - there are some posts here that seem to be saying that a step parent (e.g., your DH) income is not really relevant in terms of a custody case. Although, I am sure it is a concern to you and your family in "real" life, which is true for anyone.

What was not discussed here, is that your income and employment, as the child's parent, is relevant.

The consequence to you then, in terms of your original question, is that your DH employment may not be considered a factor in persuading the court in your favor.

In reference to your concerns about the father, if you think he is not responsible enough or has bad judgement with regards to your child, that could be relevant in terms of making a legal request to modify custody. That is not something you have pursued thus far, it seems. Certainly, the fact that he has drug paraphenalia lying around and has been in jail suggests questionable judgement, to say the least.

Questionable judgement does not necessarily mean that the child's father does not love him nor want to spend less time with him. From your previous posts, I think you would agree with that. It sounds like they have excercised their time with him quite consistently.

CourtClerk

None of them lived in WI either...:rolleyes:
And you know this how? I never knew we had so many friends in common or you knew so much about my life. One of them lives in Racine, but thanks for knowing everyone I know. I mean really, we wouldn't run in the same circles in real life. :rolleyes: No, Ld, you don't know everything/everyone.

Us California folk, we move too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">