• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support too long?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

123stephany

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My boyfriend has been paying child support for his 20 year old son who has not lived at home since he joined the military. He is no longer in the military but I am wondering if my boyfriend is owed back pay. He had two jobs and lost one of them in November of 2008. He couldn't make the support payments so his ex took him to court. Now he is being garnished for $94 per week for three kids. One is 20 and does not even live at home with his mother. The other is 18 and out of high school as a recent graduate. She is planning on taking a year off before joining the military herself. Should he be liable for her?
Thank you

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Please keep all your questions in one thread.

Oh, and the answer depends on what the COURT ORDER that YOU ARE NOT A PARTY TO says.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My boyfriend has been paying child support for his 20 year old son who has not lived at home since he joined the military. He is no longer in the military but I am wondering if my boyfriend is owed back pay. He had two jobs and lost one of them in November of 2008. He couldn't make the support payments so his ex took him to court. Now he is being garnished for $94 per week for three kids. One is 20 and does not even live at home with his mother. The other is 18 and out of high school as a recent graduate. She is planning on taking a year off before joining the military herself. Should he be liable for her?
Thank you
$94/week for three kids is a bloody good deal, frankly. But yes, your boyfriend should be the one asking the questions; you're not party to anything involving his children.

I do have one question though. When he lost his second job, what happened when he petitioned the court for a modification of CS?

LdiJ

$94/week for three kids is a bloody good deal, frankly. But yes, your boyfriend should be the one asking the questions; you're not party to anything involving his children.

I do have one question though. When he lost his second job, what happened when he petitioned the court for a modification of CS?
94.00 a week for one child isn't even particularly high.

OP, if your boyfriend runs the numbers for two children vs three (because he would have a hard time emancipating the 18 year old at this point) he will find that the difference is very small. I ran a test case on the official online Indiana Child Support Calculator (easy to find in a google search) and it was only about 17.00 a week different.

Last edited:

Proserpina

On the average...that's not particularly high.
Agreed - completely and wholeheartedly.

Tbh I know at least a few NCPs who would be elated, overjoyed and giddy with sheer joy if they were told they only had to pay $94/week for one child. And for THREE kids?! Oh maaaaaaaaaaan.....

StampGirl

Agreed - completely and wholeheartedly.

Tbh I know at least a few NCPs who would be elated, overjoyed and giddy with sheer joy if they were told they only had to pay $94/week for one child. And for THREE kids?! Oh maaaaaaaaaaan.....
LOL My ex would be just one of those people!!! ha ha We won't discuss what he pays now for our 3 kids nor what he is going to pay when the modification hearing takes place....

meanyjack

On the average...that's not particularly high.
We don't know the incomes of the parents, either. Nor do we know how much health insurance is either (since the one who pays is usually the one who's ordered to provide health insurance -- not always -- but usually it is, if it's available). Not to mention, we are not privvy to the order that a Judge signed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">