• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog bit off my lip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Perky

Originally Posted by feeling bad
My dog bit 3/4 ofa inch of her lip off. They had to cut her face from the side of her nose to the lip and then stretch the remaining lip to the other side of her mouth. They did not keep her in the hospital over night or anything but the plastic surgeon said that there was nothing further that could be done for her. I do not own a the home in which I am living there fore I have no insurance to cover this. She is permanently disfigured from all of this and I wouldnt even know where to begin in trying to settle out of court. She has told us that she got a lawyer although I have not heard anything from the lawyer yet.
Since I have no insurance Do you think it would be wise to make her an offer so we can settle out of court. Im really afraid that I could lose everything here. What kinds of things does one take into consideration when trying to settle this type of thing out of court. I know the basics like hospital bills, time of work but how can I determine what is fair for punitive damages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Geez you sound like my wife... Just because my dog bit this person doesnt mean he is a danger to our baby. Besides this bitch provoked my dog. She looked him in the eye. I will not put my dog down
feeling bad doesn't really seem to feel bad about the injuries his dog caused. He DOES seem to feel REAL bad about the liability he faces. Lipless, just in case he decides to delete his thread, I quoted him on your thread. It probably can't be used in court, but leverage, maybe?

You stated that you are a teacher. If you are a member of NEA or AFT, then you may be able to get a referral through the union's member services. The rates are discounted.

Good Luck! I know you feel conflicted because of your friendship with his wife, but you have to put your needs first.

Just Blue

As a matter of fact, the golden retriever genes thrown in there (if you want to pin the attack on breed) probably played as big of a part as the chow genes.

Golden retrievers are just as unpridictable as any other 'aggressive' breed.

On a side note, and admittedly unrelated to this post, I have a ****er. Contrary to popular belief, ****ers aren't exactly the best family dog in the world. It took demanning him and serious training to get him in line. Just a word of caution, if you have a ****er and a baby that uses a baby swing. Don't leave the dog in the room when the swing is operating. For some reason, the motion of a baby swing seems to trigger ****er aggression.

Okay, hijack over. Sorry. :eek:

Seriously....the filter blocked c o cker? as in C O CKER SPANIEL???
Thank IAAL for that...He got very ...inventive...during his insane raging against M and LDIJ....and trailer people...and southerners...:rolleyes:

lipless

Lawyer advised me to say no more about this incident on this forum. I wanted to thank everyone for their helpful advice, kind words and encouragement. When its all over I will let evryone know what the outcome was. Thanks so much.:);)

lipless

follow up on dog bite

well as it turned out there was no insurance for me to collect on. My face has healed and I have full use back. a note on karma...Monday the dog bit its owner in the face. I guess what goes around really does come around.

Just Blue

well as it turned out there was no insurance for me to collect on. My face has healed and I have full use back. a note on karma...Monday the dog bit its owner in the face. I guess what goes around really does come around.
Wow. I am glad you are okay...And VERY glad that the moron got what was coming to him!!

Karma is nifty!!:D

ErinGoBragh

I'm so sorry to hear that you weren't compensated, but it's wonderful to hear you're doing better and regained full use!

Karma's a beautiful thing, ain't it?

swrdmbo

I am glad you have recovered. What a jerk that guy was.

How appropriate that the jerk got to see "up close and personal" how out of control his dog is.Hmmmm....wonder if he was looking at him?? Dog showed him I guess!!!

Bet he still doesn't have insurance.
Our insurance company will not cover a chow, or chow mix dog.They are known to be very aggressive, with little or no provocation. It is not in the retriever's nature to be aggressive (always an exception).

There are so many retriever mixes now, and some are mixed with aggressive breeds.People need to really watch for that AND have insurance.

Best of luck to you LL in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">