• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal requirements for misaddressed mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

efflandt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Is there any legal requirement to keep returning mail over and over again when someone keeps sending mail to your PO box (for over 5 years) and you have notified them repeatedly that they have the wrong address? I wouldn't mind if it was an honest mistake, but they apparently have a bad address in their computer and I sometimes receive multiple envelopes per day when I do not have a pen to write "addressee unknown" or time to stand it line to give it to someone at the counter.

I have not been able to find anything that applies web searching "addressee unknown", "misaddressed mail", separately or following "united states postal regulations", so I am not quite sure what else to search for.

The (only) culpret is American Family Insurance in Madison, WI misaddressing mail to my PO box for American Honda Finance. The last time I wrote American Family June 2008, they said they would fix it, but their misaddressed mail is starting to pour in again.

I am about to write to American Family Insurance once again. But what can I say to get their head out of the sand (or some place browner) and permanently remove my address from their computers for anything remotely related to Honda Finance? Can I just dispose of it as junk mail and maybe they will get the hint from their irrate customers?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Is there any legal requirement to keep returning mail over and over again when someone keeps sending mail to your PO box (for over 5 years) and you have notified them repeatedly that they have the wrong address? I wouldn't mind if it was an honest mistake, but they apparently have a bad address in their computer and I sometimes receive multiple envelopes per day when I do not have a pen to write "addressee unknown" or time to stand it line to give it to someone at the counter.

I have not been able to find anything that applies web searching "addressee unknown", "misaddressed mail", separately or following "united states postal regulations", so I am not quite sure what else to search for.

The (only) culpret is American Family Insurance in Madison, WI misaddressing mail to my PO box for American Honda Finance. The last time I wrote American Family June 2008, they said they would fix it, but their misaddressed mail is starting to pour in again.

I am about to write to American Family Insurance once again. But what can I say to get their head out of the sand (or some place browner) and permanently remove my address from their computers for anything remotely related to Honda Finance? Can I just dispose of it as junk mail and maybe they will get the hint from their irrate customers?
**A: wh at did your Postmaster tell you when you asked?

efflandt

The people at the post office counter are aware of it, recognize me, and know that it should be taken care of, but nothing happens or nobody tells American Family Insurance (no "address correction requested" on the envelopes), and I just keep on receiving the misaddressed mail. The person that had the PO box before me was a Verizon employee (judging from mail received when I first got the box), and the box is the smallest size, so small that I doubt American Honda Finance ever had it.

I don't know the correct PO box for American Honda Finance, apparently with 4 digits on the west side of town (mine is 3 digits downtown) and possibly totally different, judging from one PO box I found from BBB which may be a different department or outdated (2006?).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">