• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I gave the police info, and they revealed my identity to suspect!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rizzo

I live in California. I recently gave the police information regarding a police sketch. The State Department of Justice interviewed me, and then interviewed the person I identified. During his interview, he asked the agent who gave her his information. She told him that I did! He then called me wanting to know why I was talking to the police about him. He has since been cleared as a suspect. I sent him a text message apologizing. He called me back, and told me that he "knew what kind of person I was". He is extremely angry, and is a known drug addict (Meth). I also believe he is mentally unstable. I'm living in terror right now about what may happen. I've spoken to the supervisor of the agent who dropped my name, and he assured me that the matter would be "handled internally", but that I would not be "privy to her discipline".

I feel like this agent should be fired, and that the state should be liable for my safety. I feel like I'm getting swept under the rug because I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

tranquility

The state is not liable for your safety. Many cases on similar facts, and much worse, don't get a dime even when you are hurt. There is no legal remedy.

If the organization cares, they can follow up on it. If you lodge an official complaint, they are required to give you the result of their investigation within a certain time frame. I don't believe they are required to tell you the penalty, but may be wrong. There is little likelyhood the party will be terminated.

CdwJava

While it might not have been wise, it is not unlawful for the police to give that information to other parties in an investigation. However, there are a great many circumstances where dropping a name like that will compel the defendant to realize the jig is up and he or she will admit to their indiscretions and crimes. It can be a gamble.

As Tranquility said, if you make a formal complaint they will be required to investigate it and they will provide you with the outcome (sustained, not sustained, etc.) but they are NOT required to provide you with the details of any punishment, if any.

- Carl

Rizzo

Maybe she didn't tell him - maybe he guessed, and you confirmed it!
Nope, she called to tell me that she identified me on accident. There wouldn't be any reason logistically to tell him that because I don't have any information on the crime, I simply thought that he looked a great deal like the suspect.

No one should ever talk to the police if this is the way it works. I'll never risk my own safety again, even if I witness a murder.

Thank you for your replies, everyone.

Last edited:

CdwJava

No one should ever talk to the police if this is the way it works. I'll never risk my own safety again, even if I witness a murder
If one day you or someone you care about is a victim, you had best hope that the witnesses do not share your opinion.

Evil triumphs when decent men fail to act.

- Carl

Rizzo

Well, if you may be harmed by doing so, then where is the incentive? I won't be killed to solve someone else's murder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">