• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance and Bad Credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

destiny30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I was offered a job as a government contractor 3 weeks ago for the Bureau of Indian Affairs which requires Confidential Clearance. I have started working already this week. They said that the fact that I am working and have clearance to enter a federal building and use its computer programs means I have passed a major part of the screening process. However, I have not had a personal interview with the investigator yet. My references and former employers, etc have been sent a letter to verify employment and other things. My issues is that I have a bankruptcy that was discharged in Jan. 2006 due to a divorce, I have consolidated my students loans which pulled one loan out of default status, and about 8 accounts in collections currently. I was honest and listed every account of my SP-86 form and have contacted every collection agency and made 2 payments so far to each creditor since then. I have these accounts in collections due to periods of unemployment and my husband was laid off 6 months ago. Will I be denied clearance?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Let me guess! Let me guess!

You have a chance of getting a Confidential clearance, if you can earnestly demonstrate that you are (1) a responsible person who can handle keeping secrets, despite the appearance of financial irresponsibility, and (2) not desperately in need of money so as to be subject to bribery.

I very much doubt you could obtain a Secret clearance at the present time. Fortunately, the requirements for a Confidential clearance aren't as high.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">