• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long should I give him to respond?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aubreyz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My ex-husband has temporarily been the custodial parent of our 8 year old. In our court-ordered parenting plan, I am allowed to call my daughter on the telephone while she is at his house, and I am allowed visitation/parenting time on the weekends.

Recently (for the last month or so), my ex-husband has stopped answering his phone or returning my e-mails. (These are not obessive phone calls or emails; I try to contact my daughter for a 5-minute "how was your day" phone call 2-3 per week @7pm, and email or call her dad once per week to arrange visitation.) When I actually got a hold of him (by calling from another number), he said that they have been "very busy", and have not had a chance to talk on the phone or arrange visiting time.

We are currently going through legal proceedings to restore my parenting time to 50/50, which he is not happy about. I wrote him a certified letter pleading with him to follow our parenting plan, and reminding him that suddenly cutting me off is confusing for our daughter. I offered to pay for joint counseling or mediation to resolve this issue.

It looks like my parenting time will be legally restored within 30-60 days. Ideally, I do not want to take legal action for his being in contempt of court. How long should I wait for him to start responding to my attempts to contact him, now that I know he signed for the letter 3 days ago and told my brother he had read it?

I hoped that he would appreciate my effort to stay out of court as much as possible, but I have the right to communicate with my daughter, and don't want to put up with this silence for months in the mean time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My ex-husband has temporarily been the custodial parent of our 8 year old. In our court-ordered parenting plan, I am allowed to call my daughter on the telephone while she is at his house, and I am allowed visitation/parenting time on the weekends.

Recently (for the last month or so), my ex-husband has stopped answering his phone or returning my e-mails. (These are not obessive phone calls or emails; I try to contact my daughter for a 5-minute "how was your day" phone call 2-3 per week @7pm, and email or call her dad once per week to arrange visitation.) When I actually got a hold of him (by calling from another number), he said that they have been "very busy", and have not had a chance to talk on the phone or arrange visiting time.

We are currently going through legal proceedings to restore my parenting time to 50/50, which he is not happy about. I wrote him a certified letter pleading with him to follow our parenting plan, and reminding him that suddenly cutting me off is confusing for our daughter. I offered to pay for joint counseling or mediation to resolve this issue.

It looks like my parenting time will be legally restored within 30-60 days. Ideally, I do not want to take legal action for his being in contempt of court. How long should I wait for him to start responding to my attempts to contact him, now that I know he signed for the letter 3 days ago and told my brother he had read it?

I hoped that he would appreciate my effort to stay out of court as much as possible, but I have the right to communicate with my daughter, and don't want to put up with this silence for months in the mean time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Where do you exchange the child for weekend visitation? Is it a set schedule? Are you showing up at the exchange point even if you cannot get ahold of him?

aubreyz

He is supposed to bring her to my house. We only live a few blocks from each other. I have offered otherwise, but he does not want to change this scenario. The time is not set, our orders say that the parents will agree to arrange the time in advance. But yes, I am always home and ready to accept her on my normal visitation days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">