• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towed for street cleaning [ordinance(s) in post]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E.Hale

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I just moved to Newark NJ, today I took public transit into New York and it happened to be a street cleaning day. My car was "towed for STREET CLEANING".

I found (I guess it would be called an ordinance) the ordinance 23:5-7 for street cleaning. Cars shall not be parked here, etc. I am not denying I was in violation of this.

My question arises on 23:5-11 and 23:5-11.2. 23:5-11 states that any vehicle in violation of [listed ordinances, 23:5-7 being one of them] found on a public highway (I realize this means any public road,) the officer shall move or secure the removal of the vehicle. (Yes, this means they can tow me.)

However, in 11.2 it states such vehicle is parked in violation where signs are supplemented with a tow away sign.

My question is, does 23:5-11.2 apply to 23:5-11.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Full ordinances quoted below. Bolded relevant sections.

"23:5-7. PARKING OR STANDING PROHIBITED IN CERTAIN AREAS AT CERTAIN TIMES FOR STREET CLEANING.

No person shall park or stand a vehicle:

a. On Wednesdays only, between the hours of 12:00 noon and 4:00 p.m. on the south and west sides, and on Thursdays only, between the hours of 12:00 noon and 4:00 p.m., on the north and east sides, of any of the streets within the area bounded:
"

"23:5-11. IMPOUNDING AND/OR IMMOBILIZING VEHICLES ILLEGALLY PARKED OR SUBJECT TO OUTSTANDING TRAFFIC WARRANTS.

a. Whenever any member of the Newark Police Department finds a vehicle upon a public highway in the City and:

1. Such vehicle is parked in violation of Sections 23:5-1, 23:5-2, 23:5-3, 23:5-3.1, 23:5-3.2, 23:5-4, 23:5-6, 23:5-7, 23:6-2, 23:6-3 and 23:6-4 or these Revised General Ordinances; or

2. Such member has reasonable grounds to believe that such vehicle has been abandoned as defined in N.J.S. 39:4-56.5; or is subject to outstanding traffic warrants as defined in N.J.S. 39:4-139.13;

Then such member may immobilize and/or move and secure the removal of such vehicle to such garage or place as may be designated by the Director of Police as a garage or place for the impounding of such vehicles, and such vehicles shall be there retained and impounded until the person owning such vehicle shall pay the reasonable cost of such taking, and/or removal, together with the normal storage charges as set forth in Section 8:19-6 of these Revised General Ordinances of the City of Newark. The fee for immobilization shall be seventy-five ($75.00) dollars. Immediately after a vehicle is so removed, the Chief of Police or such member acting for him/her shall notify the registered and legal owner in writing, by personal service or by registered mail at the last known address of the owner of the removal of such vehicle. After the vehicle has been in the possession of the Police Department for thirty (30) days and the owner is unknown and cannot be found or refuses to receive such vehicle, the Director may proceed to sell such vehicle in accordance with the provisions of the laws of the State.

b. 1. Pursuant to N.J.S. 39:4-139.2, the Parking Offenses Adjudication Act, the City of Newark has the authority to make, amend, repeal and enforce an Ordinance authorizing the impoundment or immobilization of motor vehicles found within the Municipality if there are any outstanding warrants against auto vehicles. The City of Newark hereby exercises this authority and delegates to the Newark Police Department and/or its agents within the City of Newark if there are outstanding warrants against such vehicles.

2. Except for vehicles owned by lessors who have complied with the provisions of the act respecting lessors, if any outstanding warrants are not paid by midnight of the 30th day, following the day on which the vehicle was impounded or immobilized, the vehicle may be sold at public auction. The City shall give notice of the sale by certified mail to the owner, if his or her name and address is known, and to the holder of any security interest noted on the files of the sale be in a form prescribed by the Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles by publication of public notice at least five (5) days in advance of the date of sale. Publication shall be in one (1) or more of the official newspapers of the City, which newspapers are established by annual resolution of the Governing Body.

3. At any time prior to the sale, the owner of the motor vehicle or other person entitled to the motor vehicle may reclaim possession of it upon payment of the reasonable costs of removal and storage of the motor vehicle, and any fine or penalty and Court costs assessed against the owner of the vehicle for a violation(s) which gave rise to the impoundment or immobilization of the vehicle; including any outstanding warrants against such vehicle; provided however, the owner-lessor of a motor vehicle who has complied with the provisions of "The Parking Offense Adjudication Act" respecting lessors shall be entitled to reclaim possession without payment, and the lessee shall be liable for any fine, penalty, Court costs and outstanding warrants against the vehicle.

4. Any proceeds obtained from the sale of the vehicle at public auction in excess of the amount owed to the City for the reasonable costs of removal and storage of the motor vehicle, and any fines or penalties and Court costs assessed against the vehicle for the violation which gave rise to the impoundment and/or immobilization of the motor vehicles, shall be returned to the owner of the vehicle, if his or her name and address are known.

5. Any unauthorized person who tampers with or removes the instrumentality utilized to impound or immobilize the vehicle, shall be liable to a penalty of not more than one thousand ($1,000.00) dollars or imprisonment for a term not exceeding ninety (90) days, or both.

(R.O. 1966 C.S. 23:5-11; Ord. 6 S+FG, 5-3-89)

23:5-11.1. Reserved.[18]

23:5-11.2. Mandatory Impounding of Illegally Parked Vehicles.

Whenever any member of the Newark Police Department finds a vehicle upon a public highway in the City and:

a. Such vehicle is parked in a zone where existing parking restriction signs are supplemented with tow-away zones signs, posted at the request of the Director of the Department of Engineering;
or

b. Such vehicle is parked in front of a public or private driveway (excluding a private residential driveway) in violation of N.J.S. 39:4-138d; then

Such member shall move or secure the removal of such vehicle under the terms established in Section 23:5-11 of Title 23, Traffic and Parking, Impounding of Vehicles Illegally Parked, of the Revised General Ordinances of the City of Newark.

(Ord. 6 S+FD, 12-19-90; Ord. 6 S+FK, 10-02-91; Ord. 6 S+FD, 12-19-91)"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I did find two other Newark city web pages. The first states that as long as my vehicle is kept in good running order, isn't left in the same spot for over 72 hours, and is registered currently, it should be fine. The second states that a street cleaning violation is a 35 dollar fine. I received no 35 dollar fine, but instead had to eat 221.30$ towing fees.

Towed Vehicles

City of Newark, NJ - Newark Fine Schedule

To Note: There is NOT a tow away zone sign posted with the street cleaning sign.

So what do you guys think, should I take it to court and attempt to get my 221 dollars covered by the city (and instead pay the 35 dollar fine,) or just eat the cost and be on with my life? Any chance I would win? And does 11.2 apply to section 11 or are the separate and the tow was lawful.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

My question is, does 23:5-11.2 apply to 23:5-11.
Looks like it does apply.... But according to this:

posted at the request of the Director of the Department of Engineering;
... it only applies if the Director of the Depertment of Engineering requested that signs be posted.

I did find two other Newark city web pages. The first states that as long as my vehicle is kept in good running order, isn't left in the same spot for over 72 hours, and is registered currently, it should be fine.
That has nothing to do with street cleaning. That is intended to have an abandoned vehicle removed if it is left on the road for an extended period of time.

E.Hale

Thanks. However, I'm still a little confused.

There was NOT a tow away sign. So you think it was a bogus tow?

Or was it legitimate just on the based on 23:5-11 and 11.2 does not apply?

I think this is why everyone says Jersey sucks.

Alex23

I think this is why everyone says Jersey sucks.
I'm pretty sure there are more reasons than that. Did you ask your neighbors what usually happens on street cleaning day? Are the streets usually clear for street cleaning? That would be a sign that people take the warning seriously.

I_Got_Banned

Thanks. However, I'm still a little confused.

There was NOT a tow away sign. So you think it was a bogus tow?

Or was it legitimate just on the based on 23:5-11 and 11.2 does not apply?
It was a legitimate tow. You were illegally parked pursuant to 23:5-7 and your vehicle was towed pursuant to 23:5-11.2. The "tow away zone" signs that you are referring to are only required if the Dept of Engineering requests that they be posted. If no request is made, then the tow is still legitimate based on the fact that you were illegally parked.

My guess is that those "two away zone" signs are only posted on streets where there is No Parking/No Standing, Fire Lanes... etc... thereby they are referred to as "tow away zone" signs.

E.Hale

Thanks for the help!

I guess I will be grateful I didn't get the 35$ street cleaning ticket. x.x

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">