• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unaccompanied minor flying and joint legal custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Take it from a mom who has a notoriously obnoxious X:
You are better off if YOU make the travel arrangements and have kiddo come home at a reasonable hour. You can check my posting history over our drama.

Now, who created the distance (I have my suspicions)?

What does your court papers state regarding transportation?

Now, here is the KEY one: does either your court papers or the Alabama guidelines state WHAT TIME parenting time ends?

I ask nothing without a reason here.

Take it from a mom who has a notoriously obnoxious X:
You are better off if YOU make the travel arrangements and have kiddo come home at a reasonable hour. You can check my posting history over our drama.

Now, who created the distance (I have my suspicions)?

What does your court papers state regarding transportation?

Now, here is the KEY one: does either your court papers or the Alabama guidelines state WHAT TIME parenting time ends?

I ask nothing without a reason here.
We both moved out of state...me due to my hubby being in the military.
Ex moved back before we realized that we could file to have venue changed.

We are to split the cost of transportation..that's all it says.

Originally we had schedule B which was very specific. Now we have a modified order with very vague terminology....which allows ex to manipulate every exchange.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Then what you need to do is ask for clarification into the transportation clause. Trust me - I had an extremely badly worded court order (thank you referee). My X's last stunt was for my child to have a scheduled flight into an airport 1.75 hours from home at 12:20 am on a school day. So, I understand.

How I got it changed was because of exactly that kind of stupidity.

See, parenting time ENDS at 6 pm on the night before school ends. That means that the child needs to be HOME by that time, not leaving Chicago at that time. He's selectively stupid. In court, I stated that I understood that maybe child might not make it home till maybe 8-9 on the night before school - that was acceptable considering the travel time. Getting home at 2:26 AM was NOT.

You need to pull the state guidelines on this one to see what it considers the appropriate time for arrival on a long distance plan.

You will NOT be able to purchase tickets thru Expedia or Travelocity since there must be an adult present with child.

fairisfair

I flew into and out of Atlanta this summer with my girls. We didn't have a SINGLE issue w/anything at all.

If your order is silent, I don't see that you have a hope of disallowing the visit. You could always purchase a different ticket w/out a layover and see if Dad will fly Princess home on that ticket.

Or, fly to Atlanta and meet her.
No offense Jane but you are not an unaccompanied 8 year old girl.

I can't see a court in the country forcing a child of that age to fly unaccompanied on ANYTHING but a non stop flight.

Legal or not, no way would I EVER put a child on that plane to dad's until an acceptable mode of transportation was in place for the return flight. Many court orders presume a parent to use good sense as well.

Would mom be expected to let her ride a pony home????

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Then what you need to do is ask for clarification into the transportation clause. Trust me - I had an extremely badly worded court order (thank you referee). My X's last stunt was for my child to have a scheduled flight into an airport 1.75 hours from home at 12:20 am on a school day. So, I understand.

How I got it changed was because of exactly that kind of stupidity.

See, parenting time ENDS at 6 pm on the night before school ends. That means that the child needs to be HOME by that time, not leaving Chicago at that time. He's selectively stupid. In court, I stated that I understood that maybe child might not make it home till maybe 8-9 on the night before school - that was acceptable considering the travel time. Getting home at 2:26 AM was NOT.

You need to pull the state guidelines on this one to see what it considers the appropriate time for arrival on a long distance plan.

You will NOT be able to purchase tickets thru Expedia or Travelocity since there must be an adult present with child.
Alabama does not have visitation guidelines.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

I can't see a court in the country forcing a child of that age to fly unaccompanied on ANYTHING but a non stop flight.

Legal or not, no way would I EVER put a child on that plane to dad's until an acceptable mode of transportation was in place for the return flight. Many court orders presume a parent to use good sense as well.

Would mom be expected to let her ride a pony home????
My dad worked for the airlines whose home base is ATL for 30 years. As a 15 year old, I got stuck in ALT overnight. I don't think anyone has ever been more scared in their lives, and I flew more than the average joe. ATL is neither child friendly nor is it an acceptable place for a child to be unaccompanied EVER. I am not sure whether or not the airlines will allow an unaccompanied minor of that age to fly anything other than non-stop unless you pay for someone to fly with. That's if nothing has changed over the last few years, and I seriously doubt that they have become more lax in the rules since 9/11...

TinkerBelleLuvr

Upon review on where the child could fly from

From Bay Minette to New Orleans - 175 miles
to Mobile - 36 miles
to Pensacola - 58 miles
to Birmingham - forget it - way too far

Are you somewhat near Washington DC (Dulles Airport)?

MichaCA

To answer your question about stepdad picking up your daughter...unless it is stipulated in your court order that he cannot pick up daughter in general, then he can pickup daughter. Now how to handle if dad actually would make a stink in the Atlanta airport? I don't know. My unprofessional thoughts if I couldn't figure out something better, would be simply to send your court order with stepdad, send a note with your cell number on it that he is picking up daughter on your behalf...and geez...if dad makes a stink what...he has to call the local police so that he be allowed to pick her up? (would dad really be that much of a jerk?)

But I am scrambling here, just didn't want to ignore your question...so YES, your husband should be able to go pick her up. Sounds like that would be the best move to handling the situation.

I do hope you can sound this out in court...I don't think dad is going to shine here. I know how stressful court is...its never my first, second or third option, but in retrospect I see how I have let fear and stress around court actually interfere with my daughter getting some basic needs met. Bad on me. I am hoping to use this situation to inspire me to get my butt in court and settle some similar long standing vacation issues every year, among other things...by myself - no attorney.

TinkerBelleLuvr

MichaCA is correct in that if there is nothing stated in the court order, then any competent adult can pick up the child; the X is being a *** about it.

The problem with flying UM is that you must state WHO is picking up the child on the other end. They must have ID showing they can pick up the child. Mom can tell him who will pick up child in airport, but if dad only writes mom and mom is sending step-dad, guess what? The airlines can't release the child.

OP needs to have this clarified in the court order also.

Luckily, my X didn't try THAT one with my kiddo. I informed him WHO was picking up the child and he filled out the paperwork accordingly.

CJane

I DO realize that. ;) My comment was in response to the posters saying that they've NEVER flown through Atlanta w/out a huge issue.

While that's true, about using common sense, Mom was given alternatives that would allow her to NOT deny the time but still ensure the child's safety. She admits early in the thread that she's hoping someone will tell her she doesn't have to send Princess at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">