• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disagreement about unaccompanied minor flights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

My ex and I have disagreed about flying our daughter with layovers for well over a year. I still do not want her to fly if there is a layover, and I have made this abundantly clear, and this weekend he scheduled her a flight with a layover. We are at a stalemate right now because neither of us knew that unaccompanied minors could fly after 7pm, and both flights are scheduled for such.. He originally told me that he was going to pick her up and drop her off from Atlanta so that there was no layover, have emails of this, and then out of nowhere he sent me an itinerary with a layover. Is there any way to combat this being that our daughter is supposed to go this weekend?

Also, are emails admissible as evidence in court?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

My ex and I have disagreed about flying our daughter with layovers for well over a year. I still do not want her to fly if there is a layover, and I have made this abundantly clear, and this weekend he scheduled her a flight with a layover. We are at a stalemate right now because neither of us knew that unaccompanied minors could fly after 7pm, and both flights are scheduled for such.. He originally told me that he was going to pick her up and drop her off from Atlanta so that there was no layover, have emails of this, and then out of nowhere he sent me an itinerary with a layover. Is there any way to combat this being that our daughter is supposed to go this weekend?

Also, are emails admissible as evidence in court?
how old is your child? what do the court orders say in regards to the transportation?

and e-mails CAN be evidence, but they have to be submittied the right way

how old is your child? what do the court orders say in regards to the transportation?

and e-mails CAN be evidence, but they have to be submittied the right way
She is 8, and the only guidelines for trans. is that the cost is to be split equally.. it is a very vague court order...which causes many disagreements.. what do you mean the right way?

Hisbabygirl77

She is 8, and the only guidelines for trans. is that the cost is to be split equally.. it is a very vague court order...which causes many disagreements.. what do you mean the right way?

I know opinions vary on this but I would not put an 8 year old a plane that is going to have layovers and at night of all times. I would purchase a ticket and fly with her there and tell dad he needs to fly with her back. Then I would go back to court and ask them to modify the order with more specifics.

I know opinions vary on this but I would not put an 8 year old a plane that is going to have layovers and at night of all times. I would purchase a ticket and fly with her there and tell dad he needs to fly with her back. Then I would go back to court and ask them to modify the order with more specifics.
I understand. The only problem is that the only way to ensure that he does not do that is to make him come pick her up so that it is certain that she has a parent present at all times. Will I be held in contempt if I tell him that she isn't going unless he comes to pick her up...even for a good reason?

Isis1

unfortunately, i am only aware that the headers have to be printed to be sure there is no tampering, since the other party wouldn't know what to do with a computer, i don't get to experiment with this. i'll let someone else explain that part, i'm not a tech geek.

but like baby said, you may need to get this modified through the court. and it's a toss, the judge might think this is just fine. especially if the airlines are okay with it.

unfortunately, i am only aware that the headers have to be printed to be sure there is no tampering, since the other party wouldn't know what to do with a computer, i don't get to experiment with this. i'll let someone else explain that part, i'm not a tech geek.

but like baby said, you may need to get this modified through the court. and it's a toss, the judge might think this is just fine. especially if the airlines are okay with it.
I understand.. Can I make him come get her? I am not interfering with his visitation, only trying to make sure that my daughter is safe.

CJane

You already asked this question - you were told that your best bet RIGHT NOW is to fly to Atlanta, meet your child, and bring her the rest of the way home.

IN THE FUTURE, you need to file to clarify the order. You probably should work it so that YOU plan the flights and Dad reimburse you for 1/2 the expense.

JETX

what do you mean the right way?
Emails and headers can be spoofed to show anything you want. In order to get an email admitted in 'real' courts (almost anything can happen in small claims/justice courts), you will have to subpoena the records of the email server to PROVE what ISP the email was sourced from.... and that the ex was online with that ISP at the time of the email.

You already asked this question - you were told that your best bet RIGHT NOW is to fly to Atlanta, meet your child, and bring her the rest of the way home.

IN THE FUTURE, you need to file to clarify the order. You probably should work it so that YOU plan the flights and Dad reimburse you for 1/2 the expense.
He said that if I fly to Atlanta the he will cancel the portion from Atlanta to VA.. Please, I would love to be dealing with someone that is negotiable. It is his way or no way..

CJane

He said that if I fly to Atlanta the he will cancel the portion from Atlanta to VA.. Please, I would love to be dealing with someone that is negotiable. It is his way or no way..
And how, exactly, is he going to KNOW you're flying to Atlanta? It's not as if you have to keep him posted on your movement.

And if he cancels that leg, how is child getting home?

And how, exactly, is he going to KNOW you're flying to Atlanta? It's not as if you have to keep him posted on your movement.

And if he cancels that leg, how is child getting home?
He told me that I would be responsible for it if I show up in Atlanta.. The whole issue here is that he is trying to force our daughter to endure the layover so that he can continually do it.. It is making him mad that I am going to meet her, even though it does not interfere with his plans..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">