• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance policies & ex spouses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txpenner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My friend's daughter was recently killed in an auto accident. The life insurance policy he had on her listed himself and his ex wife(who has also passed away) as the beneficaries. The ex spouse has a current will. My friend has been paying the premiums since the divorce. Will 1/2 of the money go to the ex spouse's estate?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My friend's daughter was recently killed in an auto accident. The life insurance policy he had on her listed himself and his ex wife(who has also passed away) as the beneficaries. The ex spouse has a current will. My friend has been paying the premiums since the divorce. Will 1/2 of the money go to the ex spouse's estate?
You have two threads with different fact-patterns. What's the real story?

ShyCat

Will 1/2 of the money go to the ex spouse's estate?

No. As the sole surviving beneficiary, your friend will receive the life insurance benefits. A beneficiary's estate receives life insurance benefits when the beneficiary dies some time after the insured, not before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">