• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance - Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msolz

I want to drop my Daughter from our company health plan and purchase an individual plan for her at a substantial savings. My employer said I would have to wait till next October for the open enrollment period. Is this correct? I can understand not being able to put someone on the plan but now forcing me to pay more just doesn't seem right.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If that's when your open enrollment is, then yes, that is correct. Federal law limits when an employee can and cannot add or subtract dependents from an employer-sponsored group policy. It can ONLY be done during open enrollment or within 30 days of a qualifying life event (birth, marriage, adoption, etc.). Again, that is Federal law.

mlane58

I want to drop my Daughter from our company health plan and purchase an individual plan for her at a substantial savings. My employer said I would have to wait till next October for the open enrollment period. Is this correct? I can understand not being able to put someone on the plan but now forcing me to pay more just doesn't seem right.
Your employer is correct. You can't just drop someone unless there has been a life changing event (i.e. divorce, death, birth, adoption, loss of coverage, etc...)

pattytx

It is if the deductions from your pay are on a pre-tax basis. The rules are very strict regarding changes in coverage for 125 plans. And just being able to qualify for cheaper coverage is not, to my knowledge, a qualifying event to be able to drop her from coverage until the next open enrollment period.

But October is still this month. When was the open enrollment period for this year?

msolz

What about when she turns 18 in January and I am no longer required by the court through my divorce to carry insurance on her?

ecmst12

That doesn't make a difference. It would only matter if she no longer met the criteria to be a covered dependent. You missed the open enrollment deadline, so you have to wait until next year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">